So did I forget anything?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dragon72

Guru
Another top tent tip.
A mate of mine has one of those "tin foil" capes like the ones they give out at the end of marathon races. He slips it, shiny side uppermost, between the inner and outer of the tent. His tent is always 50 degrees cooler on a hot day that most people's.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

now that is something i hadnt thought about...good one...so where do i get such a thing without actually running the marathon?

HelenD123

Guru
I got one packaged in with a waterproof cape from Tesco for about 99p. I think it was one of their seasonal purchases though a few months ago.

CycleTourer

Veteran
yello said:
This is superb advice. Packing and lugging a wet tent is no fun! Not good for the tent either. Sadly, I'm still learning and find it's not always so easy to get the perfect pitching spot (considering all the other points too). There's often a compromise involved.

I also like to try and get the tent out of the full sun in the afternoon... so in reality, short of putting blinds on the sun, there is rarely the perfect pitch!

You are right it is not that easy to get the perfect pitch. However we like to pitch so we get the evening sun, as it is so nice to sit outside and cook in the warmth of the sun and then read until the sun goes in.

This usually means that you are in the shade in the morning, not a bad thing if you want a lie in, but if your tent is in full sun early in the morning you just have to get up as it can get just too dam hot!

If you are in the shade in the morning, then it's not that difficult to pack everything bar the tent and then move it into the sun, held down with a couple of pegs until in dries while you have breakfast.

P.H

Über Member
A good list, just a few small additions I'd make;
Some cable ties and roll of tape, can fix all sorts.
Second pair of gloves if you wear them all the time, they can get pretty rank and don't always dry overnight.
I take a small first aid kit, used twice in ten years, neither time life threatening, but most appriciated.
Anti diarrhoea tablets, no explanation needed, but it can ruin your tour...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Dave Davenport said:
Whilst i might concede that 'croc' shoes may be light and practical... you're a grown man FFS!
Also, there doesn't appear to be any emergency booze on your list, you can't always rely on roadside supplies, I've been caught out and it wasn't nice!

But if he uses one of his bottle cages to carry a booze container then he'll never have an emergency.

I was never short of a decent glug of wine when I cycled through France - as soon as I was down to my last 250cl I bought a new bottle and celbrated it's purchase with the 250cl

jags

Guru
this is great stuff keep it comming.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

i cycled to Paris at just 16 with dual bar mounted water bottles with straws! One had water in and the other was full of scotch:ohmy:!

Anti runs tabs make sense...at least they will get me to the Apotheke safely:biggrin:

vernon said:
But if he uses one of his bottle cages to carry a booze container then he'll never have an emergency.

I was never short of a decent glug of wine when I cycled through France - as soon as I was down to my last 250cl I bought a new bottle and celbrated it's purchase with the 250cl

A profile cage from SJS holds a bottle of wine very securely.

Tombo 707

Hi BTFB i bought a UCO mini candle lantern. Do you allready have one ? if not they are ideal for camping and you can get a neopreme case for them.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I do carry two samll night light candles ...I put them inside my trangia cookset wind shield under the flysheet to read by (being VERY careful). I never use them inside the actual tent

tredder

I would suggest adding a decent compass rather than comedy one.... On a recent tour of Holland, I put the map away & simply followed the compass to get back to HoH. Bumped into Rotterdam & spent the day competing with the locals. (If they see you are foreign, no Dutch person can bear to let you overtake & stay out in front. hehe!)

asterix

Comrade Member
..sorry if this has been mentioned in previous pages, but..

anti-histamine(sp?) stuff.

I got bitten by a mosquito recently and it made my hand and ankle swell up quite badly. Had a large blister on the ankle that eventually burst.

Watch out for side-effects if you use it, e.g. drowsiness.

Top Bottom