So glad I have free bus pass!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can travel with ease pretty much every where you want to go at almost any time in London on public transport, I have 2 cars but don't really need either of them.

Today, my wife and I decided to take our grandson, ( 4 years old) on the bus to Llandudno. The journey only takes about 20 minutes so it was a change from the car. On the way back my wife said to me:" Do you know how much this journey would have cost us if we had to pay?" Of course I didn't as I never took a bus before I retired. " £3.50 each way, each" she said. So that would have been £14 for such a short journey! Why is public transport so expensive? :eek:
The same journey by car would have cost me £1 max on diesel for all of us. :whistle:

What? How did you arrive at that calculation?

PK99

Legendary Member
I think buses are ridiculously expensive.
When I was at school it was 20p for any journey within greater manchester. I could go about 15 miles in any direction - but not across "the border" with Yorkshire. If you did that, you had to buy a new ticket half way!!
When I was sending my eldest two to school by bus - an 8mile journey - it cost £6 a day!!!

When I was a lad bus fares to the local town were 20p beer was 10p a pint.

It's a bit like people complaining that is costs 20p to use a public loo at the train station. The phrase "spend a penny" come about when beer was a shilling a pint. 1/12 of the price of a pint to have a pee, much the same now!

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You don't really think the bus companies get nothing at all when someone uses a bus pass do you?
My dad claims it's a fiddle. His bi-weekly trip to the pub is a couple of stops before the bus terminus and therefore a bit cheaper than going all the way... but since he's been using his free pensioner's bus pass, the drivers tend to log his journey to the bus terminus rather than his actual destination... and possibly/probably claiming more than the actual journey cost from the local or county council (or whichever body it is).

edit... although User's explanation of how the system works makes this false claim scenario unlikely. My old man simply observed where they now log his journeys to and we speculated as to why.

Last edited:

bigjim

Legendary Member
A Google gave me this.
"For passengers who genuinely don't pay - pensioners and the like - the bus company rings up a ticket to register their journey, and claims the money back from the local council. (This is why, if you're travelling for free on a bus which crosses a county line, you still have to tell them how far you are going - the bus company might have to claim bits of your fare from different councils."
The pensioners' bit is paid by Central Government via the Council"

Also, GOV website says that EU & GOV regs insist operators should not lose out by carrying free pass users and can make a small profit.
Unlike where a loss of fare paying passengers could be a problem.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Pity more don't use the bus.
I would use it a lot more if it was reliable. Many times I've been walking to the stop at 18:05, only to see the 18:10 drive by. I can understand late buses, but ones that leave early really boils my blood. This happened to a colleague who relied on buses for work, he was late so often (because of the buses) that he had to buy a car or risk losing his job.

And another thing, they don't advertise or market themselves very well. I found out two weeks ago that a service goes straight to my work (it was on the bus shelter timetable), yet it didn't display the route on the website. So either the bus shelter or the website was out of date. It's as if they don't want to attract new customers.

Apart from that, I find the bus ok and don't mind paying £3.80 to get into town and back so I can drink. I wouldn't want to rely on it for important stuff though

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But the services are privately run. You really think the companies would reduce their profit margins to give people cheaper fares? That's not how it works. This is why rural services are disappearing, because there's no money in it for the operating companies. The only way to run public transport fairly is to make it publicly owned, allow the busy routes to subsidise the quiet ones, and take private profit out of the equation altogether.
I'm pretty sure the private operators could make it work better, but the national operators (First, Stagecoach and co) seem to have figured out a way to make a good profit by engaging in brinkmanship with local councils, running down borderline services by dirty tricks like irregular intervals, clumping (two services on very similar routes within a few minutes), splitting (two services on similar routes but different operators and no multi-operator tickets) and cancelling "evening" services to stop workers on 10-6 or 2-10 shifts using them, to the point where they can get council subsidy by threatening to withdraw the service completely.

It seems to take either a smaller operator like Lynx / Coastal Red coming in and shaking things up (discount for using a multi-operator smartcard, services that call at the hospital instead of trying to get people to buy two single-service tickets) or an operator doing a simple regular all-day "clockface" service that calls at the same point every hour, half-hour or quarter-hour (there's one in the west country but I forget its name) to change things. Then the national operator can no longer count on getting the council subsidy contract if it runs a service down - the challenger may get it instead - and so they seem to actually compete... but then that sometimes results in ludicrous "front-running" where the two operators will keep retiming their buses to serve a route a few minutes before the other... yeah, you're probably right, nationalisation, or at least London/Midlands/Yorkshire-style transport executives is needed.

It probably still wouldn't let us take our bikes on buses, though, as DVSA is the blocker.

(edited to fix typo)

You can get phone apps that show live running data.
Depends on the service. I have found the First X1 Peterborough-Yarmouth live running data has been a work of pure fiction on at least two occasions this year.

Last edited:

Wafer

Veteran
I wonder whether the way bus subsidies are calculated varies form place to place. The method I've been told is that bus companies record the number of bus passes used on a router and the number of fares/value of fares purchased and they get the average fare value for each bus pass used.
I think the fair value was based on the average single ticket or something, so it is basically incentivising bus companies to charge higher single fares so their average fare price goes up and they get a bigger pay out from the local authority...
And round here at least they have no idea where people actually get off the bus so have no idea of actual bus route usage, just how many people bought a ticket and where on the route they got on.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
those were the days!!

upload_2016-11-23_14-22-15.png

Top Bottom