So glad to be back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MJN

Hi everyone,

As a keen cyclist (MTBer) in my teens I was mad keen on all things bikes... I'd be up early once a month to get my copy of MBUK (which I got from the very first issue) and would ride absolutely everywhere with my mates. There'd be late nights in one of our parent's garages, blocking Mum's access to the freezer, taking our bikes apart and trying to teach ourselves how to true wheels (I don't think we ever got very good at it!). I don't know what happened, whether it was booze, girls or cars - perhaps all three! - but when my pride and joy, a Marin Eldridge Grade, got nicked (as per all my previous bikes) it sadly never got replaced....

Nearly 15 years on my girlfriend suggested we got some bikes so, now aided with the Internet to help the research (cue when I were a lad... stories!), I bought a couple of 'his-n-hers' hybrids - Specialized Crosstrail Sport and Ariel Sport. What can I say... it's brought all the nostalgia back and I'm still grinning ear-to-ear when I even go near them. Even better, my girlfriend is dead chuffed too so I expect this new hobby is here to stay. Our first ride was perfect - Bristol to Bath along the old railway, with a pub stop thrown in for good measure. 26 mile round trip so probably a bit OTT for our first outing but the sore arses have finally given way to an eagerness to get out there again!

The bikes have been superb - absolutely perfect in fact for what we plan on using them for. A great mix of components and excellent design throughout. I was somewhat surprised, but curiously reassured, to see that technology at this level hasn't really moved on from all those years ago (perhaps a few more aluminium frames around). At least I don't need to re-learn all the maintenance and tuning again... Indeed I was pleased to see the Shimano tech leaflets haven't changed a jot... quite surprised to still remember the exact SIS indexing setup procedure too! A notable departure to the existing technology roadmap however is that it would appear that Biopace doesn't seem to have survived!

So, great to be back, and hopefully I'll be here to stay - not only on the bike but the forum too. Speaking of the latter; too much choice out there and with enough non-cycling forum memberships to keep up with I opted to go for just the one cycling forum so I hope I've picked wisely!

See you around,

Mathew

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Welcome back to cycling and to CC, Matthew!

I had a 20 year break after having my bike stolen from the school bike sheds as a teenager (back in the days when schools still had bike sheds rather than laybys for the 'school run'!). I decided to buy a bike when I watched Greg Lemond win the Tour de France in 1989. It was the best decision that I ever made!

OP
OP
MJN

MJN

Thanks Colin!

I imagine our stories are fairly common - a sudden departure from cycling coinciding with the transition to the adulthood and then a delayed return later on in life. Perhaps there is an element of an inner desire to return to the carefree days of childhood once again!!

Mathew

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hello, and better late than never!!

After using my bike less and less until it was just a hack bike, I stopped cycling about 3 years ago after my bike sort of seized up and I didn't have the money/couldn't be bothered getting it fixed/replaced.
I'm BACK now though!!

Welcome! I'm sure you'll soon get some fitness back again (heck, I'm still looking for mine!).

Top Bottom