So how does a flip-flop hub work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maz said:
Uni-directional tyres? I didn't think these things existed. I thought the rotational direction arrows on tyres were purely cosmetic.

Put it in 'fixed mode' with the arrow the 'wrong' way and ride backwards, thus making the tyre the right way! ;)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
hubgearfreak said:
either fixed/free or fixed/fixed would work as one
I thought the fixed/free threading was different then? - freewheel as in 5 speed block - pre cassette times.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
youngoldbloke said:
I thought the fixed/free threading was different then?

it is. below is a picture of a fixed wheel hub. it has a thread that's clockwise for the sprocket to go on, and then a LH thread for the lockring. you can screw on a single speed freewheel and ignore the lockring.
system-ex-alloy-36-hole-rear-fixed-fixed-track-hub.-%5B2%5D-898-p.jpg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
hubgearfreak said:
it is. below is a picture of a fixed wheel hub. it has a thread that's clockwise for the sprocket to go on, and then a LH thread for the lockring. you can screw on a single speed freewheel and ignore the lockring.

Thanks - but could you put a multi speed freewheel on that hub? The hubs I remember were designed to take a multi speed freewheel on one side and a single fixed sprocket on the other and IIRC the wheel was dished accordingly.

There is another..the Affix Free/Fix hub solves the big problem with regular flip-flop fixed/singlespeed hubs. Instead of faffing around taking your wheel out to switch between fixed gear and freewheeling, all you need to do is simply push and turn the outer ring on the hub to engage or disengage the fixed option....the Affix Free/Fixed hub all yours for ~£170.....

Top Bottom