So I shamed myself...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chewy

The miles will come, honestly.

Nice one

No incidents to report, but I did get one boy (about 12 maybe) laugh at me for wearing a helmet.

Well done LabRatt, you'll be amazed how quickly your fitness will increase, just keep 'em pedals turning.

As for the laughing incident, I'd rather be laughed at than mourned over. Helmets, in my opinion are a must but each to their own.

OP
OP
L

LabRatt

Well, I've got myself a nice 2 1/3 mile daily exercise route worked out - it's mostly flat but with a last (reasonably gentle) uphill slog at the end. When I'm comfortable with that I'll go a little further afield and ride round Crystal Palace Park, that one should work out about five miles and when I can easily handle that I'm probably ready for the commute.

First go this afternoon when I get home from work (might pause for a coffee though). I'll post my progress in this thread.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Well, I've got myself a nice 2 1/3 mile daily exercise route worked out - it's mostly flat but with a last (reasonably gentle) uphill slog at the end. When I'm comfortable with that I'll go a little further afield and ride round Crystal Palace Park, that one should work out about five miles and when I can easily handle that I'm probably ready for the commute.

First go this afternoon when I get home from work (might pause for a coffee though). I'll post my progress in this thread.

Sounds like a plan - keep it up!

Borbus

First time I rode the 7 miles to school when I was about 16 I felt sick. Took maybe a week before I could do it without being out of breath by the time I got there. Then there was a really windy day and although I didn't feel sick I was absolutely exhausted when I got there. It didn't take long before those 7 miles seemed like just down the road. Now 15 miles is just down the road and 50 miles is a long bike ride...

tyred

Legendary Member
I remember my first time as an adult. Legs like jelly and having to use the bike to hold myself up as I got my breath back after a 4 mile ride. It does get better....and addictive....

MickL

Über Member
I spent the first few months living of Ibuprofen my legs were sore but now, two years and a bit down the line and few stone lighter, Ive brought my self a old racer and slowly doing it up ready to commute to work 18miles each way :smile:

OP
OP
L

LabRatt

Just got back from my first ride around the "Sewage Farm" (local name for South Norwood Country Park - guess what used to be there). I tried Sports Tracker and Endomondo, but think neither were set up quite right. They agree that in just over 14 minutes I covered 2.16 miles (I had to shorten the route as there's less cycle path than I thought) and averaged 8.8-8.9mph, reaching a max of 17.14mph (according to Sports Tracker - Endomondo won't tell me). Apparently I spent either 86 or 226 calories doing it.

I tried not to stop pedalling even when freewheeling as my legs need to get used to the movement, and I encountered three joggers, four dog walkers, six dogs, and one representative of the Elmers End chapter of the Special Brew Appreciation Club.

I'm knackered, but it was worth it.

Xiorell

Über Member
Ya know I've found in my couple of months of rding, it's less a case of the rides getting easier that's changed (though they have gotten easier), it's how quick I recover.

The first few commutes to work I had to give myself a moment or two before walking in after the trip. Now I am 100% fine as soon as I stop. Going out to my GFs house killed me at first, now by the time I wheel the bike into the hall I am totally back to normal.

Top Bottom