So I shamed myself...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LabRatt

It's been a few years but I've finally done it. Got the mountain bike rideable again and took it out. In bike terms, the rear wheel needs truing, the front mech needs a lot of adjustment, and probably the spindle needs replacing.

The rider needs a lot more work than that though.

Two miles to the shops and back, and I'm knackered. OK, so it was uphill in both directions, but that's not much of an excuse. I'm in reasonable shape, shape-wise, I'm not overweight or anything, but boy am I unfit. I'd been planning to pop into the LBS and have a chat about road/cx bikes but, given the shape of the commute I'll be facing, I'll leave that until I can make the journey and still talk to the guy.

But I did it! You've got to start somewhere, right?

No incidents to report, but I did get one boy (about 12 maybe) laugh at me for wearing a helmet. I'm one of the people who probably wouldn't, but I have promised the girlfriend I will and at least I can do my small part in making those who feel they must feel slightly less uncool.

(Yeah, 'cos I'm that cool. *pant*)

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
When I started cycling again it took me 45 mins to get my breath back after a 5 mile ride. God it was hard!

Now I'm up to 80 miles a day and getting ready for my first 100 miler next month.

Danny251

Nice one mate.
I started a week ago and can already see an improvement and I cycled 7 miles today and could have went longer. Stick at it and it will become so much easier :smile:

OP
OP
L

LabRatt

Well, I'm going on the Tour de Penge in three weeks time, and that's about eight miles each way. It'll be a very leisurely ride but I think I need to put some work in before then.

Time to break out the tracker apps on the 'phone and start doing it every day.

MarkF

Guru
Well done, I started by going to the Post office, less than 2miles away, seemed like an adventure at the time. I was shagged when I eventually got there, had to get my good lady to come and collect me.

A few months after that first outing I was doing returns to Skipton, 45 miles. ;)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Well, I'm going on the Tour de Penge in three weeks time, and that's about eight miles each way. It'll be a very leisurely ride but I think I need to put some work in before then.

Time to break out the tracker apps on the 'phone and start doing it every day.

I just saw that the Tour de Penge will be following NCR21. It's a nice ride - if there are not too many people on the ride, keep your eyes out for kingfishers. (It's not that they are particularly shy of humans, it's more a question of staying on the path and not cycling into other cyclists or the river.) I always get a real buzz when I see them in London.

jamm13dodger

Wish I'd started with one that length. I decided to commute to work. 11.5 miles. Was useless for the rest of the day - thought I'd never make it home but I did in the end. It's surprising how quickly you an get back into it though.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Well done, top effort
biggrin.gif

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Well done, I started by going to the Post office, less than 2miles away, seemed like an adventure at the time. I was shagged when I eventually got there, had to get my good lady to come and collect me.

Well *that's* not a service offered by my local branch. Pah, I hate postcode lotteries.

Night Train

Maker of Things
It's a good start, well done.
I started with very slow rides in the park that were not really rides, more walkign with a bike under my bum. The rides were taking the bike in the car to the garage and then riding home while the car was being serviced, then riding back to pick it up. Only 3 miles each way but the first time I rode home I took the bus back to get the car.:blush:

It has been more and better ever since.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Good stuff, you will find that the cycling gets easier and easier the more you do it as long as you take it at a sensible pace!

Well done for starting the process going!

Top Bottom