So I Was At The Tip This Morning........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
What wheel size is it ?

If 26 x 1-1/4" they are a pig to get hold of !

That's the same size as the Pashley Princess [ edit : no it's not ], so not as hard as you might think. There's not a lot of choice in wheels/tyres, true, but they do exist

tyred

Legendary Member
It would take a lot to leave it as new but very little to build that into a rider.

More likely to be 26 x 1 3/8" which are easily available.

Dan B

Disengaged member
It would take a lot to leave it as new but very little to build that into a rider.

More likely to be 26 x 1 3/8" which are easily available.
Having a brain fade moment here. Mrs B's Hercules (dating back to 1969 or thereabouts, at least according to the datestamp on the sturmey archer hub shell) is the same size as the Pashley Princess wheels, but I can't remember if it's 1 3/8 or 1 1/4. I expect you're right here.

If you don't care about period accuracy, I'd strongly suggest a front wheel upgrade to something made of alloy - at least if you want to stop in the rain

tyred

Legendary Member
Indeed. Someone on Amazon is selling 26 x 1 3/8" front wheels for £22. Made a huge difference to one of my roadsters.

Michelin World Tour tyres are well worth the few quid extra over the basic "Raleigh" pattern tyres as they roll so much better.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
That chainring looks like it will be so cool. Weld a stand on the back, so it stands up on the desk as if it were a clock. Or even turn it into a clock using other bike parts as hands (seize up some lengths of chain maybe?)

Or you could get some chain and wear it round your neck like a biking version of the Beastie Boys.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
bit heavy for round the neck, still I got it off the bike, the cotter pin was tricky as someone had been at it with a hammer and the thread end was bent. Ended up having to drill it out, straightforward but caution was exercised. Just got to finish polishing up the chainring and then I'll take a pic of it on the office wall, surprisingly shiny under the gunk.

Frame, forks, bars and rear hub are going to Big Al at Wheelcraft, he has an old boy in need of an 'easy to mount' frame for pottering around on. They all cleaned up nicely as well, especially the rear hub, must of been 3-4mm of black gunk layered on it and yet it was pristine silver when cleaned.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Disappointingly, at our local tip, the employees are prevented from making a few quid by selling old bike frames etc. - no matter what financial incentive is offered to them. They are constantly monitored by CCTV, to ensure that this doesn't happen.

I won't be finding a Hetchins at our local tip. :angry:
i have the opposite problem; they'll take the cash but i've yet to see anything worth more than a coin with straight edges…

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Disappointingly, at our local tip, the employees are prevented from making a few quid by selling old bike frames etc. - no matter what financial incentive is offered to them. They are constantly monitored by CCTV, to ensure that this doesn't happen.

I won't be finding a Hetchins at our local tip. :angry:
i have the opposite problem; they'll take the cash but i've yet to see anything worth more than a coin with straight edges…

Top Bottom