So, Im Ditching Windows And Moving Fully To Linux...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

My Canon printer wants to install software

You can usually install just the drivers if you delve into the install options, or go hunting for a driver-only option on their download page.

But my Canon printer doesn't even need drivers #macbook #airprint #justsayin :whistle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But my Canon printer doesn't even need drivers #macbook #airprint #justsayin :whistle:
AirPrint has been supported by the Common Unix Printing System (CUPS) usually used on Linux since 2011. It's Apple's attempt to extend and extinguish the Internet Printing Protocol which had been around since about 2000. Apple didn't invent it.

Dadam

AirPrint has been supported by the Common Unix Printing System (CUPS) usually used on Linux since 2011. It's Apple's attempt to extend and extinguish the Internet Printing Protocol which had been around since about 2000. Apple didn't invent it.

Didn't say they did, but they implemented a seamless protocol that just works. Can you install a linux distro, and seamlessly send prints to a printer on your network without further messing around. If the answer is yes I'll withdraw the comment.

D

Deleted member 1258

Didn't say they did, but they implemented a seamless protocol that just works. Can you install a linux distro, and seamlessly send prints to a printer on your network without further messing around. If the answer is yes I'll withdraw the comment.

With my Xubuntu box once the printer was added to the network it just worked, I had to change one setting to make it discoverable and it went through with no faffing about, the printer is a HP one and I was using the HPlip toolbox.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I've never had any of these issues with Windows, not with my Canon printer, Logitech mouse, etc etc. What am I doing right? :biggrin:

Yeah, +1. I haven't had any issues from my 2015 laptop with only 256GB disk and I use it for programming, VM'ing, work-related stuff, web'ing. I want to get a new one although I have no need. Performance is fine (no gaming for me). It's fantastic and I think Microsoft have done a good job with their OS. I used to complain about Windows years ago but it's so much better these days, and has been for a number of years.

I tried Linux too and while it lots of fun, I spent too much time tinkering with the OS rather than doing any work. Apple laptops are awesome and one day I might get one again. I'm glad Linux exists on the desktop but they are far superior in the server space (I don't use the word "space" like that much, just sayin').

Oh BTW Linux is superb for uni Comp Science students too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, unless "pick its name from the list in Print Settings" counts as "further messing around".

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Yeah, +1. I haven't had any issues from my 2015 laptop with only 256GB disk and I use it for programming, VM'ing, work-related stuff, web'ing. I want to get a new one although I have no need. Performance is fine (no gaming for me). It's fantastic and I think Microsoft have done a good job with their OS. I used to complain about Windows years ago but it's so much better these days, and has been for a number of years.

I tried Linux too and while it lots of fun, I spent too much time tinkering with the OS rather than doing any work. Apple laptops are awesome and one day I might get one again. I'm glad Linux exists on the desktop but they are far superior in the server space (I don't use the word "space" like that much, just sayin').

Oh BTW Linux is superb for uni Comp Science students too.

Therein lies what I was saying. I think windows operating system of old were better, 98 and XP are my favourite OS's. Opinions vary wildly and that's fine. Incidentally, I found the move to Linux to be "tinker free", but I suppose it would help if you mention what tinkering actually looks like to you, especially during your time with Linux. I wouldn't use Linux personally if I spent more time farting about with it than using it, i rely on this machine totally for my income.

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I've never had any of these issues with Windows, not with my Canon printer, Logitech mouse, etc etc. What am I doing right? :biggrin:

Of course, you can uninstall the software. But often you lose some functionality. The software for my mouse, would allow you to adjust the dpi. The canon printer, mine is an MG2950, you would lose some features. Which is the generally theme of additional bloat software that accompanies hardware. On Linux, you don't have the specific manufacturer software and sometimes you can even get third party software to control functions missing from manufacture software, which doesn't come with bloat. For example, on Linux with my NVIDIA card, I have installed a program called "greenwithenvy" which allows me to adjust fan curves, voltages, frequencies, power limits etc without additional bloat of the NVIDIA software on windows, which contains advertising like most accompanying software. I'm aware you don't have to install this software on Linux to do these things, but It makes life far easier. My tolerance to such things is clearly very low and I'm ok with that.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

My Epson (Network) printer just worked with my Ubuntu MacBook, nothing extra to instal or "tweek".

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Can you not see that the second bit is clearly farting around with unnecessary stuff?

That wasn't the point i was making.

All of that farting stuff is included with Geforce Experience and the driver software on Windows. But on Linux, the software is optional and that optional software doesn't include all the fluff and bloat of the software packages on Windows. You can, as i have mentioned in post 71:
Unplug old GPU, Plug in new GPU, Install drivers and that's it

To be clear, You don't have to but you can fart around with all adjustment of fan curves, voltages, frequencies, power limits etc on both Linux and Windows, but the philosophy of how it is done differs on Linux and Windows.

Top Bottom