So is a Sportive a Race or Not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExRacer

I'm fairly new to Sportives and have been onto BikeRadar and www.cyclosport.org. There's seems to be a battle going on as to whether Sportives are non-competitive or road races?

You don't have to have a racing licence or be a member of BC?

Anyone understand what's going on?

yello

It is my understanding that they are not races... neither officially, nor legally, nor organisationally (is there such a word?!).

But it is an odd one because they are timed, results are published in finishing order, riders will be out to 'win', or beat others, or better personal bests.... so perhaps they are races for all intents and purposes... just not officially??

RedBike

Sportives are NOT races. However, as pointed out, it's not uncommon for a rider to try a little harder than normal in order to get a good time.

Noodley

They are only races for those who decide they are - that way if you are faster than someone else you have beaten them, if you are slower then it was not a race :biggrin:

They are "races" for those not really fast enough to race...:tongue: and challenges without racing for those who are.

OP
OP
E

ExRacer

Thanks for putting me straight.

Those guys at BikeRadar are scary! I guess Newbies aren't so welcome over there. Glad to have found a home here. Thanks

OP
OP
E

ExRacer

Got to agree, the Sportive thread on BikeRadar is scary. If you don't agree with some of them, you get reported and then huge threads of posts get deleted. They seem to have their heads up British Cycling's ar*e for some reason, probably to do with this battle with Cyclosport.org for overall control of sportives.

I reckon it's gonna get nasty ...

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The Sportive world in the UK does seem to be in a bit of a mess. If there is any blame to be apportioned then some will have to go to British Cycling. Only a blind man in a coal hole couldn't see the enthusiasm for this type of event coming a mile off. BC should have been ready, both because as their function as a 'National Governing Body', but mainly as a way of channelling the surge in interest in road cycling that has come off the back of these events.

Now there seems to be some unsightly power struggle which could well result in there being YET ANOTHER body representing cycling in this country. Just what we need. Is that number 6 or 7 we've got? Strength in numbers eh?

But as to the issue about racing or not, BC's position (and the only one that's possible under British law), is that Sportives in the UK are not races:

The British Cycling Rule Book says…
APPENDIX 4- REGULATIONS FOR BC CYCLOSPORTIVE (CYCLING FOR ALL) EVENTS

These Events will be known as Cyclosportive events…

The organiser shall wherever possible select a route that is low in traffic volumes and away from major towns. When choosing a suitable route consideration should be given to finding a hill early in the event to alleviate the possibility of bunches forming

There will be no list published which indicates a finishing position or time. An alphabetical list of finishers and times will be published.

However the situation on the ground seems to be in direct contradiction to this. BC endorse the Highclear event which appears to fly in the face of their own guidelines. As a result Cyclosport.org has got all high and mighty about this event but promotes the Fred Whitton as being the first and best Cyclosportive, an event which is happy to report in the local paper that the 'six riders of the Wheelbase team worked well together as far as the foot of Honister where team captain Rob Jebb put the hammer down, causing the field to fragment and allowing only one other rider to be able to handle the pace. The two then worked together over the remains of the course to a joint win in a new record time."

Doesn't read like a 'jolly non competitive cycling day out for all' in my book.

It's all needs sorting out, because if something goes wrong and there is a big incident, the resulting 'solution' imposed by the road authorities are unlikely to make it easier for cycling.

will

I did the Time-Megeve Mont-Blanc event on the weekend and while not a race technically:

1. Top riders got priority starts.
2. Results and placings were published
3. Different Diplomas awarded based on time relative to "winning" time of each category
4. The medium and hard routes had cut-off times to be allowed to do
5. Different categories (age/sex/etc) used to categorize results

All which seem a bit like a race to me

On the other hand many riders just enjoy the day out. Personally I stop a lot for photos and take long food breaks (from necessity)

Top Bottom