So it begins?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldstrath

Über Member
Just back from a shopping trip, where a Mr " I am a cyclist too you know" decided to berate me for riding a fixed wheel bicycle " like that bastard in London". Even though mine has canti brakes front and rear. Can't say it surprises me overmuch, given the average Mail readers intellect and the amount of noise made about fixies, but wondering if anybody else has had this yet?

Just back from a shopping trip, where a Mr " I am a cyclist too you know" decided to berate me for riding a fixed wheel bicycle " like that bastard in London". Even though mine has canti brakes front and rear. Can't say it surprises me overmuch, given the average Mail readers intellect and the amount of noise made about fixies, but wondering if anybody else has had this yet?
Yes. I had someone, who had finished crossing the road, on a Zebra crossing, call me a "*****ng murderer" because I moved off before his left foot was on the kerb. And I had someone stop me in my tracks ( on a shared path ) telling me there "was a bloody road over there, for BIKES, BIKES ON THE ROAD, NOT ON THE BLOODY PAVEMENT, THATS HOW THAT LADY GOT KILLED"

3narf

For whom the bell dings
It's always the same when the tabloids decide to sponsor an anti-cycling hate campaign. It won't last too long; they'll be on at benefit cheats and asylum seekers again soon.

Lonestar

Veteran
The media in this country is a disgrace, an absolute disgrace.

I think you mean some of the idiots that lap up this media type crap up.

People can't really understand (especially non riders of them) when fixies are actually ridden properly and skillfully they are the most responsive bikes going.

I'm nowhere like the best fixie rider (and I've seen some real class out there) in the world but I manage with no problems.

Last edited:

People can't really understand (especially non riders of them) when fixies are actually ridden properly and skillfully they are the most responsive bikes going.

I'm nowhere like the best fixie rider (and I've seen some real class out there) in the world but I manage with no problems.
I think I read that the guy involved in the accident, was running 90 gear inches. If that's true, it would be very difficult to control the bike, for most people, on a road.

OP
OP
O

oldstrath

Über Member

I think I'd go with blaming the media more than the idiots. They don't have to write crap, and do have the resources to do some minimal amount of research before they start typing.

Drago

Legendary Member
I blame the media too -

One cyclist kills someone, and all cyclists are slavering lunatics.

A motorist kills someone, the rest of motoring kind are blessed as saints for not having killed anyone today, and the matter is forgotten by tea time.

Lonestar

Veteran
I think I read that the guy involved in the accident, was running 90 gear inches. If that's true, it would be very difficult to control the bike, for most people, on a road.

Im running 50x15 I think it it is and I have very few problems.It's the riders attitude and possibly experience which is the problem.

I blame the media too -

One cyclist kills someone, and all cyclists are slavering lunatics.

A motorist kills someone, the rest of motoring kind are blessed as saints for not having killed anyone today, and the matter is forgotten by tea time.

Well that's just the media showing bias which is hardly surprising.If it's a car driver writing the article.it's probably going to be bias in favour of the motorist.Not saying it's right but it's a fact of life.If people are so stupid that they get influenced by newspapers then that's their lookout.Personally I never buy that bogpaper.

Last edited:
Top Bottom