So much for primary position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Why were you taking the lane there?

Is that Clifton, with the Robin Hood on the right?

Mad at urage

Why were you taking the lane there?

Is that Clifton, with the Robin Hood on the right?
As the clip opens, to go past the parked car. Strong primary required and well away from door zone.

Once past the car, a left-turn lane starts to open out on the left. Primary encourages those who want to turn left to do so on the left. Primary maintained quite rightly into (and probably through) the junction, to continue to discourage overtakes in the cyclist's lane; which would be unsafe, especially with those railings to be squashed against.

Unfortunately primary can only discourage stupid behaviour such as that overtake. The overtaking car was also undertaking the cars in the right-hand lane, showing how stupid the driver in fact was. On the brighter side Mr HC, at least you had some 'flinch-room' to your left :thumbsup: .

Origamist

Legendary Member
That was close - his wing mirror must have been inches from clipping you.

In those kinds of situations (multi-lane junctions and higher speed differentials) you're always vulnerable and it makes you aware of how much slower and smaller you are when compared to motor vehicles. Primary position is a deterrent to close overtakes and hooks, but it is far from a panacea.

The only thing I would add is that in those circumstances (I'm assuming the oncoming, right turning traffic is being held by a signal in the film), is that much of the threat is coming from behind you. All you can really do is try to keep looking back in order to glean the occasionally imbecilic manoeuvres of other road users and try to adapt your riding accordingly.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
On the brighter side Mr HC, at least you had some 'flinch-room' to your left :thumbsup: .
Thank you. I started to reply, but you said it all. :thumbsup:

I used to ride in secondary past that slip road and through the junction, but was left-hooked more times than I care to count. That was before I read Cyclecraft and looked at Bikeability, as well as the advice given here. I think my road positioning here was pretty much text-book perfect. Doesn't cure all ills, but I think is a lot safer than the alternative, even with the occasional idiot.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
All you can really do is try to keep looking back in order to glean, the occasionally imbecilic manoeuvres of other road users and try to adapt your riding.
Yes, I guess I could have looked back again as I was clearing the parked car. :thumbsup:

boydj

Legendary Member
Your positioning was good - but there's no stopping some pushy drivers who undertake at speed. I bet if you had been through the junction and back in secondary being overtaken by a car in the outside lane he would still have squeezed through to complete an undertake.

rowan 46

Über Member
Taking primary doesn't necessarily stop the driver who wants to be an arse but it does cut down on the unthinking carelessness of drivers and as that's the majority of negative driver/cyclist interactions it's the best we can hope for. That driver is an accident waiting to happen. that is if he always drives like that.

Top Bottom