So my colleague tells me his gears developed a slight issue on his commute this morning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
well it came up with your chisseled fizzog- sorry if I dropped you in it.

Not at all :smile:

All joking aside, with a chain tool do you reckon we could make this a singlespeed for the ride home?
Not adviseable. With vertical drop-outs you'll be very lucky/it'll be impossible to get the chain under the correct tension. With too much chain slopping about it's likely that it'll throw its chain at the first bump - with enough slop the worst case scenario is that the chain will try to climb on to a bigger sprocket with potentially catastrophic effect.
If this ever happens to a bike I'm riding I hope someone will shoot me.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I mentioned the single speed option and being a design engineer the fella had already thought of that option. He said he couldn't be bothered, in fact he said 'I'll bring in a different bike tomorrow, I've got loads more in the garage...'

d57bbc4f-9391-73ec.jpg

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Not adviseable. With vertical drop-outs you'll be very lucky/it'll be impossible to get the chain under the correct tension. With too much chain slopping about it's likely that it'll throw its chain at the first bump - with enough slop the worst case scenario is that the chain will try to climb on to a bigger sprocket with potentially catastrophic effect.
If this ever happens to a bike I'm riding I hope someone will shoot me.

Either that or black n'yellow'll thumb his nose at you.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Were it mine I'd be tempted to put the mech back and bodge a bolt through it and make it dead tight. There will be no gears but the mech could be set to a suitable 'get me home' gear that has best chain line.

It will be just that though, a 'get me home' bodge.

I would also have no personal concerns about making it a single speed with a chain tool. Again the best straight chain line can be found that gives the best tension. The rear axle in the drop out shouldn't see any difference in loading under power IMO.
I'd just ride gently and be aware of it not being right.

Regular cafe stops to check would be a must though.:cuppa:

However, I would suggest your colleague do what he feels happiest with.

Shaun

Founder
Does that bolt head clear the chain when it's on the bottom of the cassette? There can't be much room there! :eek:

Top Bottom