So nice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Aye. Just don't rely on the flash and still check for yourself. Usually it is OK but I have had a few in lane 1 flash and wave despite hiding another motorist approaching in lane 2 that would have flattened me.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Aye. Just don't rely on the flash and still check for yourself. Usually it is OK but I have had a few in lane 1 flash and wave despite hiding another motorist approaching in lane 2 that would have flattened me.
Definately. It's more like a straight across kind of roudabout at high speed for cars. It is the riskiest part of my commute.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I thought it was nice today, when I was on a roundabout & turning right, signalling with my outstrected arm, and an HGV driver slowed & made it obvious that he would indeed give way to me as the Highway Code suggests. Sometimes they seem to carry on in the hope I will chicken out!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
...when a lorry, which has right of way at a fast busy roundabout, flashes to let me go first.

THANK YOU

I would echo the sentiments of Mr Skol, this is not as good as it might appear.

I never give such signals or rely on them given by others. Too often I've seen someone else, who would be in conflict with my manoeuvre, act on the same signal. It's just too risky.

If everyone stuck to the recommendations within the HC, we'd not have these potentials for confusion and collision.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
No, it's not nice! It causes confusion and can lead to danger. Please everybody just stick to the rules and avoid any misunderstandings.
MJRs scenario is a big risk, especially with a hgv blocking the view.
THE LORRY STOPPED FOR ME - IT WAS NOT MOVING - I HAD TIME, IT WAS SAFE, NO CONFUSION WHATSOEVER. Caps lock off.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
THE LORRY STOPPED FOR ME - IT WAS NOT MOVING - I HAD TIME, IT WAS SAFE, NO CONFUSION WHATSOEVER. Caps lock off.
How dare you threaten peoples' preconceived idea's of how you should behave in a certain situation they didn't even witness, and furthermore take joy from it:laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No, it's not nice! It causes confusion and can lead to danger. Please everybody just stick to the rules and avoid any misunderstandings.
MJRs scenario is a big risk, especially with a hgv blocking the view.
There is no rule against the HGV slowing early and giving way, nor against a cyclist proceeding when given way to. I mentioned the risk only to remind riders we must still check carefully, in line with highway code rules 110 and 111.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I've had many occasions when motorists were generous with their time or space when I'm cycling, especially 'professionals".

And some where they weren't (looking at you, Twat who tried to kill two of us outside Yarm).

Chislenko

Veteran
Driving down a motorway in Poland some years back I was approaching the car in front so indicated to pull out.

The car approaching in the fast lane behind flashes me so I pulls out and overtakes.

I overtake and pull back in, bloke who flashed me passes me and slams on in front of me wanting a fight!!

Apparently in Poland flashing the lights means "I'm coming through!!"

He had a quick look in my car, saw five handy lads on the way to a football match and decided not to pursue it!

Top Bottom