so sad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
He was dazzled by the sun for a few seconds and did not see the men.

It's a hard one to disprove and if the jury is made up of car drivers, all of them would say at some time in there lives they have been “dazzled by the sun”, but saying that if you can't see you should stop, or if not slow down.

OP
OP
S

spacecat

There by the grace of god go I, may have been the sentiment among the motorist jurors. Isn't it similar to going round a bend faster than the distance in which you can safely see to stop? It's a long long straight section of road, and of an evening the sun sets on the horizon immediately ahead of you. I know I've driven it countless times in those conditions. Visibility is bad, but you are NEVER instantly dazzled on it.

I know a conviction won't have brought them back, but I am uneasy about the message that's sent to drivers reading about it.

RIP lads :sad:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Did he hit them from the side, from the back or head on, or did they stray into his path? The report doesn't give much detail, but i think "temporarily blinded by the sun" could equal reading the paper, checking the mobile phone, or fiddling with the radio etc. I think that the BBC's very short report on the accident sums up society's attitude towards us cyclists.:dry:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So they were hit from behind. Thanks for giving the information that the report failed to. If they'd have strayed into his path then he'd have an excuse, but what he did is inexcusable!:ohmy:

We spend, as a society, millions on individual murder cases, millions on individual medical intervention and on things like revamping electrical installation regulations to prevent the handful of electrocutions every year. And quite rightly. But when it comes to our safety on the road no one appears to give a shoot.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We spend, as a society, millions on individual murder cases, millions on individual medical intervention and on things like revamping electrical installation regulations to prevent the handful of electrocutions every year. And quite rightly. But when it comes to our safety on the road no one appears to give a s***.

Well i've contacted the council about a few cycle lanes and roads in the Accrington area that are just so dangerous. One particular lane has that many holes and repair patches that you have to weave in and out to avoid them, giving the motorists an excuse to get all aggressive with you. They said that they have no money to repair the road, so i suggested they just repair the 3ft wide cycle lanes, and leave the rest of the road, as cars can ride holes and bumps, but road bikes find it very difficult.
I got the "You don't pay road tax and insurance" rubbish thrown at me, so i quoted my council tax number/code and the road tax and insurance that i pay for my two necessary cars. They didn't bother to reply.:dry:

Top Bottom