So the (near) octogenarian says to me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Last ride round the chase and I get to the bottom of Cardiac hill, I had taken it easy so far to have plenty of reserve energy. Seatpost a little higher to get a better climbing pedal stroke... I'm in stravasshole mode! I want a PR on this segment!

I start the climb making sure to breath correctly and I'm in my own little world when a chirpy voice chimes up

"This hill never gets any easier"

"Nope!" I grunt in return.

"I`ve been doing this for 8 years now, I started when I was 70"

I look across half expecting, half hoping, to see a young bloke taking the pee, but no, it was an older gent.

I think he says a few words of encouragement, but they are drowned out by the sound of blood pumping through my ears.

Im giving it my all to keep with him to the false summit half way up with a feeling he was holding back. Then its confirmed, he was holding back. He then leaves me in his wake of gravel and pine needles. Im still half way up the second climb and see him buggering off passed the wheezers at the top of the hill, and starting the next section without taking a break.

I get my PR, but somehow fells like its a hollow one. I feel like I have been schooled, very old skooled.

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
"Old" is a state of mind, and has nothing to do with numbers!

Remember the chap probably climbed as a youth when if lucky, you may have had three gears on a heavy steel bike. Made from hardier stock defiantly.

I admire the obviously retired folk when out on a ride that speed past me. I hope that once I can pick and choose when to ride, I'm as fit and able even though I only took up cycling 5 years ago. They do say that cycling adds years to your longevity, here's hoping.

As a 73 yo, I do find it amusing when on the trails on the North or south Downs, to ride alongside someone who is maybe 20-30 years who is struggling, huffing and Puffing up hill, something nice about offering them encouragement then take off leaving them to struggle on. The important thing it give them hope that they can improve there fittness if they keep at it.

compo

Veteran
The OP may meet me on a climb one day then he can get his own back on us older riders and restore his pride.

Motozulu

Über Member
Paul if it's who I think it is I've rode with him. He is an amazing gent but he did the same to me! we were doling some cheeky trails when he joined in with us, halfway around the Blue we were doing that horrible lonnnng dog leg fire road climb and he's alongside me - I'm wheezing that badly to stay with him and he casually chucks the gem at me (he's hardly even breathing hard) of how he had cancer 2 years ago!

Truly inspirational rider.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
From what I remember through my sweat burred vision he would be a few inches either way of 6 foot, grey hair, seemed to chat to everyone but most importantly NOT breathing of sweating enough for going up cardiac hill at that pace!

Top Bottom