So, this addiction...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garethssmith

Now, I've mentioned before, I'm not technically a beginner, but a couple of years out of the saddle can certainly make you feel like one.

I'm surprised how easily I've fell back into the routine of cycling. I'm doing a minimum of 4 miles per day on a nursery run with my daughter attached and started pushing 20 mile rides too. The main surprise is that I'm averaging 14-14.5 mph on the longer rides. I might be becoming slightly ambitious but I've signed up to do Manchester-Blackpool and the Great Manchester Bike Ride next year which I think given my progress so far will be more than do-able.

Am I pushing my luck by (almost) committing to doing the 1st 2 TDF stages next summer too??

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Once you committ to anything it will happen.

@garethssmith
If your doing 20 miles @ 14+mph, you breeze Manchester-Blackpool next year. I started last June within two months I was doing 14+ speeds all be it on flattish roads, over the winter I concentrated on some climbing and general fitness, last Thur I did 37.5 miles in 2:32 with 53ft mile climbing.
I just did a quick route 47 miles with 1591 ft of climbing altogether, that works out to 34ft mile a lower rate than the quick 14 miles I did this aft.
Not sure if this would be the route you take, but I probably would.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3002446

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Now, I've mentioned before, I'm not technically a beginner, but a couple of years out of the saddle can certainly make you feel like one.

I'm surprised how easily I've fell back into the routine of cycling. I'm doing a minimum of 4 miles per day on a nursery run with my daughter attached and started pushing 20 mile rides too. The main surprise is that I'm averaging 14-14.5 mph on the longer rides. I might be becoming slightly ambitious but I've signed up to do Manchester-Blackpool and the Great Manchester Bike Ride next year which I think given my progress so far will be more than do-able.

Am I pushing my luck by (almost) committing to doing the 1st 2 TDF stages next summer too??

TDF stages :eek: i'm there in spirit if you need me

Hill Wimp

I'll post updates on training.

Alas, the first two stages are in Yorkshire next year, so no French pictures I'm afraid :sad:

OK so that was a blond moment down here in the South. I did think you meant you were going to go and do this years stages 1 & 2 in Corsica. Still total respect as i don't think we can call any of the stages wherever they have them easy. Just hope the weather is good and Yorkshire is pretty lovely so still some pics please.^_^

OP
OP
garethssmith

garethssmith

Yeah, it's very daunting looking at a 120 mile ride, especially as I'm nowhere near that yet. You're right, Yorkshire "can" be lovely in areas (just don't tell my fellow Lancastrians I said that)

In the meantime, I'll be training hard and saving for he ultimate in padded shorts. Ha

Hill Wimp

Yeah, it's very daunting looking at a 120 mile ride, especially as I'm nowhere near that yet. You're right, Yorkshire "can" be lovely in areas (just don't tell my fellow Lancastrians I said that)

In the meantime, I'll be training hard and saving for he ultimate in padded shorts. Ha

Huh do tell us what they are when you find them. Despite having er natural padding and wearing padded shorts its still hurts.^_^

Nick Stone

Just do it :smile: I'm aiming to do that kind of distance next year as well, mastering the 60's or trying to at the moment and ill take it from there, but I'm a big bloke losing it so If I can anyone can

Top Bottom