So, this Ditchling Beacon...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

It has a reputation mainly because of the amount of novices who tackle it on the London to Brighton ride (and good on them for it), these same novices go on to regail their friends of what a brute it was.
It really does pale into insignificance when compared with other climbs in the UK.
But as a test for a novice, it's a great climb.

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

I'm well within the 'novice' camp - used to do quite a bit of gentle single track back in the day (5-6 years ago) but haven't been on my bike for a long time. Nothing more than the odd weekend to Centre Parcs or the occasional trip down to my allotment.

Going to definitely give it a shot though.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
HeyWayne said:
Indeedy I have. Ordered myself some semi slick/hybrid tyres (hopefully in the right size) too and have padded shorts winging their way to me.

By better I of course meant more suited - to hill climbing for heavy set novice cyclerists. :smile:

All sounds pretty sensible. Pump the tyres up hard, and don't do it in the full midday sun...

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

Alan Whicker said:
What's a tandem for five people called? I saw one of those make it to the top of the Beacon. I think the riders were local Scouts. I pushed my bike up.

I'm pretty sure they don't allow tandems now - I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
CycleChat's very own Arallsop climbing the Beacon on the Martlets ride in march. Here. On his Bent, one handed (the other hand holding the video recorder).. Beacon starts at 3:56

theclaud

Openly Marxist
iLB said:
oh it's dead hard aye...

:laugh:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
HeyWayne said:
Coming from someone in Sheffield that worries me.

He's teasing. iLB nips up and down Ditchling three or four times while he's waiting for everyone else to catch up. Stick to advice from mere mortals...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Will1985 said:
and me!

I need to find out if I can make the next Brighton run - racing gets in the way :laugh:

True! iLB describes a London-Brighton run involving only one ascent of Ditchling as a "rest day". :laugh:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
FWIW, there is no 'other side' to the Beacon. It's a gentle downward slope for 2.5 miles to Old Boat Corner then a choice of 3 ways into Brighton. Right is downhill and flat to the coast, straight on is undulating and downhill to the coast and left is steeply downhill and flat.
The latter is the route used by the BHF nowadays.

Will1985 did the climb of DB in 5m30s!

Top Bottom