So todays the day...what will the UCI say?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've come to one conclusion about pro cycling. Most of the people involved in the sport are thick as two short planks.
and greedy, egotistical, avaricious planks at that.

fugginsackemall.

thom

____
I've come to one conclusion about pro cycling. Most of the people involved in the sport are thick as two short planks.
I think they're institutionalised into the world of cycle/sport administration and aren't the smartest tools in the box.
Looking briefly at their backgrounds, it's clear that they require fresh blood (no pun intended this time).

The saddest thing is that within the current governance structure, McQuaid might be as good as you can get.
I think to change this, external pressures need to be brought to bear, either through Swiss laws forcing them to change aspects of how they are administered, or from WADA or IOC pressure.

An English guy I met living in Italy told me the problem with Berlusconi wasn't that he was a corrupt joker but that all the other possibilities were worse than him. I fear (as I think @oldroadman has suggested), that there are no decent alternatives within the UCI currently and that external appointments are exceedingly difficult to do within the current structures.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The UCI are now saying that by acting as they have (backing USADA) they now have the moral authority to lead cycling. There's to be a meeting on Friday to decide the way forward. On the agenda is the 2000 Olympic TT result, claiming back Armstrong's prize money and...... reducing the size of the teams (how will this help?)

I enjoy watching cycling (as well as rugby and some football) but why do sports' governing bodies all seem to be entirely divorced from the realities of their respective sports? Nero and Rome burning always seems to spring to mind. McQuaid et al lining their pockets whilst continually holding their hands up and saying "We did what we thought was best" and "It wasn't out fault guv"

xx(

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I enjoy watching cycling (as well as rugby and some football) but why do sports' governing bodies all seem to be entirely divorced from the realities of their respective sports? Nero and Rome burning always seems to spring to mind. McQuaid et al lining their pockets whilst continually holding their hands up and saying "We did what we thought was best" and "It wasn't out fault guv"
and there's your answer.

400bhp

Guru
I don't know if this is the right thread, but I wonder if now is the time that sports are properly regulated.

The last 20 odd years has seen sport change from being a pastime/sport to big business.

400bhp

Guru
The UCI are now saying that by acting as they have (backing USADA) they now have the moral authority to lead cycling. There's to be a meeting on Friday to decide the way forward. On the agenda is the 2000 Olympic TT result, claiming back Armstrong's prize money and...... reducing the size of the teams (how will this help?)

xx(

Every other thing I read on the whole debacle calls for an overhaul of the UCI in various degrees.

400bhp

Guru
I know - but big business has really come into it's own recently.

Multi Million dollar endorsments from advertising being the main feature.

Too much bloody money flocking to too few.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Could this be their [the UCI] eventual downfall?

Kimmage will be sued for defamation.

A few years down the line, something comes out that means one of the UCI lied under oath.

Criminal investigation ensues.

I've got the legalities correct haven't I?
you would have, but for one small consideration.

Switzerland.

See also FIFA, IOC

As Thom and others have said, Pat and Hein can't be got rid of just like that. It may be that other sponsors will follow the Rabobank example (I'm absolutely convinced that Rabo were pointing the finger at the UCI), and, if the dosh to the smaller national federations dries up there'll be some squeaking

It may be that national bodies could decide to withdraw. I'd love to know what BC have got to say about this.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Good well written perspective from Robert Millar here

Great piece. Really excellent - it seems quite clear in retrospect that the 50% haemocrit level was an invitation to dope, given that is was already so high above the natural highest levels. There's a simple answer to this one: reduce the permitted levels to something near the high normal levels (45% would be generous but much safer if health is what you are worried about) plus really put the biological passport system to work on this and other base values.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Switzerland.

Yes, absolutely. Switzerland is the absolute centre of global corruption - the country is built on the profits of market manipulation, money-laundering, fraud, dictatorship, theft and genocide - yet it's such a prim and proper place which would never tolerate any of that to occur openly in Switzerland itself.

Top Bottom