So, who was in the wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

girovago

Riding along, or alongside, the lane separation lines causes confusion for follwing traffic and danger for you; take a primary position. Having said that, the driver shouldn't have passed you so closely. He could have given you more room if he'd passed you on your nearside.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
[QUOTE 1518174"]
None of the above.

Remember that there is two lanes going round that bend. I'd be in the left hand one in primary, any traffic overtaking can in the other lane.

Then roughly 20-30 metres up to the traffic light, have a good check behind, signal and then move across.
[/quote]

Agree with that.

Bicycle

1. I take my hat off to you for seeking the views of others and again for taking them on board.

2. I thought all the responses were frank but thoughtful, so my hat comes off for a third time.

3. It looks like a slightly damp road in the vid. From my days as a motorcycle courier, I have an unnatural fear of white lines on damp roads. It has served me well so far.

My thinking on you original question tends to align itself with those who suggest your on-the-line positioning implied being on the fence as far as lance-choice is concerned.

In similar situations I am an avid and frequent hand-signaller and looker-behinder, in an attempt to remove any doubt from the minds of motorists as to where I'm heading. This OCD-ish behaviour may also stem from long-term fear and loathing while working as a courier.

I used to be ridiculed on racetracks for spending as much time looking rearward as forward. I wasn't fast.... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Ellis456

Ellis456

Well today I tried the amended position's and it was ok, took middle lane primary, went around bend until straight, then did my checks/hand signals and over I went into primary again, the lights are most always on red here so if anyone beeps me then I don't get there problems the lights are red what do they gain?.

Ive also inproved on my shoulder checks instead of just relying on sound!, yes it's stupid to rely on sound, other cyclists and some cars are very quiet!.

400bhp

Guru
What you could also do is consider the timing and length the lights are on red/green to determine when and how quickly you move over.

"20-30 metres"? I would have thought that is leaving it far far to late, 1 or 2 cars come along and your stuck in the wrong lane. I like to get into the correct lane early; may be that's the lorry driver coming out in me.

20-30 is about right for me too but play it by ear judging by the prevalent conditions; if you get into the middle to early it just frustrates drivers; too late its too dangerous; go with the flow so as to speak ;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
"20-30 metres"? I would have thought that is leaving it far far to late, 1 or 2 cars come along and your stuck in the wrong lane. I like to get into the correct lane early; may be that's the lorry driver coming out in me.

With your sufficient shoulder checks you will be aware of the traffic behind you and you will be able to adjust the point at which you need to change lanes ;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You are right, someone taught say in a rural area would also need to be taught in central london etc, there is no easy way, just like driving, the real learning comes after you pass.

Yes jonny jeez that is indeed, I actually prefer it here, some lovely cycle routes, countryside once out of the town centre. :biggrin:

And by extension any motorist taught in rural areas would have to be retaught in central London etc...?

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Can't see the vid, it says its private so i can't post an opinion either way.

Top Bottom