Soak-aways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5339301, member: 9609"]I thought it was just a hole filled with rocks but some online stuff seems to be making it very complicated.

Am I just wasting my time digging a hole and back filling with rubble then dropping a paving slab on the top of it, should I line the sides with that fabric landscapers use to supress weeds, or would the perforations in this be the wrong size.

I have a budget of 5p, a spade, plenty of rocks, plenty of that landscape fabric (or old dumpy bags) any suggestions[/QUOTE]

Key question: what is the soak away for?

wrt your fabric question:
the black non woven fabric is absolutely ye wrong material, it will allow though all fines.

You want Geo-membrane - the stuff that goes down under a paving base. Tough as tough but water permeable.
Quantity you want would be pennies from a friendly local paver.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Last time you asked for advice, I replied and you'd already fitted the post. So I presume you're well on with the hole by now.
You already probably know it depends what you're soaking away? A rule for building soakaways is 1m3 for every downpipe. Site the hole 5 m min from a building. Crate stacks have more void than stone. Etc etc

PK99

Legendary Member
Really....ill keep my 30 odd years experience to myself then ..

99+% of folks here are non experts on any specific technical subject but many feel free to chip in with "good advice". Your (really) good advice is just as likely to be lost in ill-informed dross - just like asking a medical question here.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Your “like” almost arrived before I posted. Are you a psychic expert as well?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
99+% of folks here are non experts on any specific technical subject but many feel free to chip in with "good advice". Your (really) good advice is just as likely to be lost in ill-informed dross - just like asking a medical question here.
Don't forget vaguely suggestive "Carry On"-style smut ... or is that just me? :laugh:

Levo-Lon

Guru

Well that can happen but i always tell the poster and they like the post or add more questions .
My advice will always be honest and ill often know ways that text book teachers would never know.

I once went to quote a guy for a parh in his garden,snotty know it all.
He took great pleasure in telling me he was the man who does the specifications for council paths and roads..great pleased for you.
He then said he wanted 600 mm of type one and 50mm sharp sand and a 60 mm paver.

No prob i said but that is a serious spec for a garden path and you'll be paying for this not the council...

He seemed to go off the idea when i priced it, he never had it done either.

Salar

A fish out of water
A rule for building soakaways is 1m3 for every downpipe. Site the hole 5 m min from a building. Crate stacks have more void than stone. Etc etc

With respect, there is no rule for soakaways. It depends upon the area to be drained, soil charactereristics, water table level, permeability and percolation rates of the existing ground.

And , yes I do know what I'm talking about. :smile:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
With respect, there is no rule for soakaways. It depends upon the area to be drained, soil charactereristics, water table level, permeability and percolation rates of the existing ground.

And , yes I do know what I'm talking about. :smile:
You're right - I should've typed "rule of thumb

D

Deleted member 26715

With respect, there is no ONE rule for soakaways. It depends upon the area to be drained, soil charactereristics, water table level, permeability and percolation rates of the existing ground.
I've fixed that for you, as there are rules, ask anybody that has had the Council Building Inspector round.

Top Bottom