Soapbox - Open it up and moderate it?

Soapbox changes

• Make Soapbox unmoderated and "open" (as it originally was)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Make Soapbox unmoderated and an "opt-in" forum (as it is now)

• Make Soapbox moderated and open

• Close Soapbox

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
My changes to Soapbox have caused a bit of stir, and as such I want to ask people what they think about alternative ways of managing it.

I'm happy with what I've done and why I've done it. Put simply, all I've done is make Soapbox and opt-in / opt-out forum. Nothing else has changed, you just select whether you want to view it or not (with the default being 'not').

Some people think this will make Soapbox a worse place. Who knows, it might. To that end, I want to know what people think.

I've always tried to keep CC inclusive and friendly. Between myself and the very good volunteer mods we have here I think we've done a pretty good job.

Soapbox on the other hand can seem quite the opposite to the uninitiated, and that's really what I would like to resolve.

So, here are the options I would like some feedback on (and votes please):

1) Make Soapbox unmoderated and "open" (as it originally was)

2) Make Soapbox unmoderated and an "opt-in" forum (as it is now)

3) Make Soapbox moderated and open (with a view to concentrating on debating rather than poking each other with sticks!!)

4) Close Soapbox

Cheers,
Shaun

Arch

Married to Night Train
um, maybe add a poll? (To this thread, not to soapbox;))

stephec

Legendary Member
I can't get into soapbox, even though I'm logged in.

It just shows up as private, and when I click on it it tells me I need to be a registered user and logged on.

stephenb

Guru
stephec said:
I can't get into soapbox, even though I'm logged in.

It just shows up as private, and when I click on it it tells me I need to be a registered user and logged on.

ditto - emailed admin earlier, no reply.

yello

I reckon that now the change has been made that we give it a few weeks and see what happens.

I'd not be a fan of a moderated forum but then I would like to think that people can self moderate. A bit of piss taking is fine, but I don't think there's ever a call for open abuse. I guess there are people who get off on that but I genuinely don't understand it.

Renard

It was fine as it was.

spindrift

yello said:
I reckon that now the change has been made that we give it a few weeks and see what happens.

I'd not be a fan of a moderated forum but then I would like to think that people can self moderate. A bit of piss taking is fine, but I don't think there's ever a call for open abuse. I guess there are people who get off on that but I genuinely don't understand it.

Do one, fart knocker.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You implied that people had left the forum earlier, Shaun, is that so?

Are people really offended by the squabbles or faux offended?

I'm not a big fan of SB so I don't go there often but if someone was rude to me I think my self esteem could stand it!

FWIW apart from libel and the laws of the land I'd vote for a free for all.

Danny

Legendary Member
You haven't offered a "don't know" option. I still don't really understand what the problem was with Soapbox as it was - but if I did I might support the change.

Option 3, moderating Soapbox and making it open, is going to be a lot of effort and trouble for you and the Mods. Seriously. Trust me on this, I've still got the scars from modding on C+...;)
I'd quite like to see it closed, but I can see that would create more uproar than the current changes. The new arrangement looks like a sensible compromise, perhaps come back and review it in a months time?

Top Bottom