Social distancing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes I have fond memories of an old Zetor yard scraper at a dairy farm I used to work on.

Not least the way the old Debun farmer used to pronounce it. :smile:

One of my main criteria with choice of make is easy fixability, and parts availabilty.

I have a brilliant guy just down the road, well past retirement age who sorts me out if I can't fix it myself.

One time he fashioned a new internal hydraulic part, out of an old haybob tine...

Skills like that are in very short supply nowadays..
I keep trying to encourage a youngster to apprentice themselves to him.

Being able to fix stuff, on the fly, without computer diagnostics is a dying art., Which shouldn't be lost..

Sadly a lot of the kind of era I'm looking at, is being exported abroad now.

The big guys just don't want it...

The smaller to medium scale farmers are a dying breed. :sad:

But you'll know all too well, the fuel tanks those monster tractors have.

One of them can burn in a week, my entire diesel consumption for a whole year.. That just can't go on.. :wacko:

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
Zetor Crystals (or Polish made Ursus equivalent - they differ only in detail) were great machines and pretty much bombproof with a gearbox which was probably the best of it's era in terms of gear ratio choice.

I haven't paid any heed to prices of older tractors in a while but there were certain bigger machines such as the MF 595, International 955/956 or Leyland 2100/4100 which always were under-priced compared to smaller models in the range. Might be worth a look.

Fiat 780 was a great tractor mechanically with horrendous rust issues - if you don't mind a tatty cab you might get one going cheap somewhere, same for the Lamborghini 854 and MF 600 range.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Zetor Crystals (or Polish made Ursus equivalent - they differ only in detail) were great machines and pretty much bombproof with a gearbox which was probably the best of it's era in terms of gear ratio choice.

I haven't paid any heed to prices of older tractors in a while but there were certain bigger machines such as the MF 595, International 955/956 or Leyland 2100/4100 which always were under-priced compared to smaller models in the range. Might be worth a look.

Fiat 780 was a great tractor mechanically with horrendous rust issues - if you don't mind a tatty cab you might get one going cheap somewhere, same for the Lamborghini 854 and MF 600 range.

Thank you for the tips.. Very useful food for thought.

I'd rather buy local from someone of known reputation, who would feel bad about selling me a dog.

I can kick tyres with the best of them, but..

And, dealers can be tricksie, sadly.

I shall keep looking but I don't want to go too far afield.

Even before all this travel restriction, I was never keen driving loads of miles for a speculative viewing..

You really need to use an old machine and get it heated up, to discover its true quirks, and foibles.

Anyhoo, we'd better stop with the tractor chat before we get modded.

Although the rules might have changed now..

... So long as they're blethering on CC they're less likely to be mixing in the real world, so it's all allowed :rolleyes:

All uphill

Still rolling along
All this talk of crowded public places.

Here's a few pics from my solitary time today.

20200322_110221.jpg

20200322_100232.jpg

20200322_110622.jpg

Not a tractor in sight!

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Nice thread you’ve got going here. Fantastic shot of the beach in your OP (and @hoopdriver's above).

Here’s my driveway,

Hj2zF73.jpg

also a bridleway. That field to the right is currently filled with newborn lambs.

D0pxGrS.jpg

eiuIoJf.jpg

ujPPP1n.jpg

dCTUQvg.jpg

They are of course intensely social creatures, not at all keen for separation from the flock.

muaKi7Q.jpg

bzchmBf.jpg

2X2iUai.jpg

zuoiMj2.jpg

Though some do, from time to time, go their own way.

Av5YS0W.jpg

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Usual local bridleways for me which keeps me out the way of most people. Decided to take a ride into Sheffield last night which seemed like being in the set of 28 days later. Very strange
20200405_185432.jpg

20200405_185609.jpg

Screenshot_20200405-204623_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200405-204550_Gallery.jpg

Top Bottom