Social Science

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
It's interesting that cyclists have a whole section here about commuting with an active thread about the days' ride. Hard to imagine any other commuter types doing the same. I wonder what makes cyclists so different? Are they a persecuted group seeking support in some way or are other factors involved?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Just a bunch of lonely, needy nobheads. Sad really.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Its just another part of the social side of cycling for me. It can be a solitary world so its a good place to let of steam and chat to fellow commuters. Just like you would sat on the tube or a bus i suppose. Or maybe im just a needy nobhead. Im off to call the Samaritans.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's interesting that cyclists have a whole section here about commuting with an active thread about the days' ride. Hard to imagine any other commuter types doing the same. I wonder what makes cyclists so different? Are they a persecuted group seeking support in some way or are other factors involved?

Really? There are endless motoring forums, many of which have commuting threads and some threads specifically to complain about cyclists and pedestrians. There's Living Streets which mainly campaign for pedestrians, there are groups for train and bus users, both locally and nationally and probably quite a few of them have online and offline forums.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Everybody likes a good moan from time to time :smile:
Guess commuting gets more moans because once you set out by bike you need to get to your work - and back home too, hopefully.
While, if you are out for a leisure ride, you can change your plans anytime, it's a more relaxed state of affairs.

classic33

Leg End Member
Travelled by bus & train to work at one stage. Got fed up of trying to make a one hour journey in two hours. Buses late, trains cancelled. Got fed up of having to put up with it so got on the bike instead. Took no longer. Got called nuts for doing it though.
If drivers never moaned about having to travel what would radio stations do with no "traffic situations" to report? How'd they cover the time used on these hourly reports in the rush hour?

Kies

Commuting into London takes 90 mins each way with traffic/accidents etc
Riding 22 miles on a hybrid/panniers/traffic lights ... Takes me 90 mins

No contest!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'm still thinking how exciting one of FM's rail commute forums must be.... How was your day's commute?
Welll.... I got on the Paddington bound service at 7:38, four minutes late as usual.... stopped at the Highbury Junction for 3 minutes while the 7:42 Watford link passed- using the B847[C] carriages today....

Top Bottom