Socks - Warm and Dry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

fair enough but I'm sure I've read loads of posts on here whith riders saying they were useless at keeping feet dry and warm

I bought some years ago and was distinctly unimpressed. My feet are warmer in woolie boolies. In fairness, it was years ago and perhaps seal skinz have improved.

But I reckon the better answer (and I think Tynan has said this too) is winter boots. I bought some for last winter and they really have been a worthwhile investment.

yello

I think a problem with sealskinz might be that they are waterproof - it also means they don't breath. Hot clammy feet soon become chilled to the bone when the sweat, with nowhere to go, chills in the cold air.

Garz

Squat Member
Hmm anyone want to share the winter boots they use as I would pay a reasonable amount for warm feet than faffing around with socks and overshoes that tend to wear quickly?

I got some Endura overshoes that have a wet-suit like material, they were great but after a few months got wrecked very easily (they were around £22).

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hmm anyone want to share the winter boots they use as I would pay a reasonable amount for warm feet than faffing around with socks and overshoes that tend to wear quickly?

I got some http://www.chainreac...lID=9275]endura[/url] overshoes that have a wet-suit like material, they were great but after a few months got wrecked very easily (they were around £22).

SPD compatible? So far, so good with Shimano MW80s (best price now about £110, I got them for a bit less from Wiggle, but they've jacked their price up for some reason). Not impervious to water- my feet did get damp on the last FNRttC- but they'll hold it out for quite a while, it was easily past the half-way mark before it got squelchy, and they still stayed comfortably warm. On shorter rides and/or lighter rain they were waterproof. Riding bud of mine has just got a pair of Northwave Celsius GTXs, about the same price, he rates them highly too. Not cheap, but IMHO worth the investment.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
All these posts have been really useful because I need to keep my feet warm for longer rides in the winter. I have flat pedals on a hybrid. Judging by what people have posted, my guess is that overshoes don't last and waterproof socks are not that great either. Is the solution, for my riding, just to buy a lightweight pair of decent hiking boots? Twenty five quid for the socks, and another thirty quid for the overshoes might better be spent on boots? What do you reckon?

yello

my guess is that overshoes don't last

Correct. I used to go through a pair each winter. I classed them as consumables!

I think the 'how' of keeping your feet warm is a personally variable thing. What works for one person won't work for another. Depends how sweaty your feet are I guess. So, sadly, trial and error.

Re waterproof socks, in total honesty I'm not sure. My hypothesis is that the waterproofing prevents breathability and wicking of sweat. I reckon if you're going to have a waterproof layer then it either needs to be the shoe itself or an overshoe. I just can't see how a waterproof sock can keep feet warm as well, unless by chance. That is, the weather conditions are right for the sweatyness of your feet... or something like that! That might be a big overlap for some people, I don't know, but I know I personally have not gotten on with sealskinz, ever.

I also think the 'less is more' principle might come into play here too. Put too many layers on, or too thick a pair of socks, and your feet will sweat, the sweat will chill and the end result is - somewhat counter intuitively - cold feet.

I opted for winter shoes last winter (Northwave Farenheits btw, £108 from Chain Reaction) because my feet were still getting cold in my favoured woolie boolies, shoes and overshoes combo. Previously, in the UK and commuting in London, I had never experienced the need for winter shoes. Here in rural France, with more time on my hands, I ride more often for extended periods in minus C temperatures.

Garz

Squat Member
I opted for winter shoes last winter (Northwave Farenheits btw, £108 from Chain Reaction) because my feet were still getting cold in my favoured woolie boolies, shoes and overshoes combo. Previously, in the UK and commuting in London, I had never experienced the need for winter shoes. Here in rural France, with more time on my hands, I ride more often for extended periods in minus C temperatures.

..and your opinion of the NW Farenheits is?
wave.gif

just want to chip in again. Wore my Sealskins today for a 30 miler. The weather was not cold but wet. Yet again my feet stayed dry inside with the socks feeling wet on the outside (from the rain). i sweated a fair bit today but my feet did not feel sweaty at all. I also wore the Endura oveshoes linked above that resist some of the rain but as been said they dont tend to last well.

I guess it comes down to preference. I tend to get cold easily and when wet get even colder. Thus far (2 rides in rain) my Sealskins have proven to be a great purchase for me and I am looking forward to dry warm feet through the winter

buggi

Bird Saviour
... overshoes that have a wet-suit like material, ...

Neoprene

i use neoprene overshoes and merino (sp??) wool socks. works fine for me over 25 miles. The neoprene shoes usually last me a season and at approx £20 a shot i'm pretty happy with that. current neoprene's have been going since last year.

They (Sealskinz) do keep my feet toasty warm in cold weather, and the feeling of my feet being in a proper thick 'socks' inside my bike shoes is nice, but as has been mentioned if water gets in the top IME wet feet follow.

Whether I'd spend £20+ on a pair again is debatable...

Actually, no it isn't - I wouldn't.

yello

..and your opinion of the NW Farenheits is?
wave.gif

like cycling in boots really! Heavier, more restrictive around the ankle... but they work! Not as warm as I was expecting in all honesty as I still need to wear woolie boolies to ensure my feet stay warm but, yes, they do the job. I'm glad I bought them and would recommend them.

I tend to have my cleats set so my feet are as close together as poss. With the Northwaves being bulkier, I had to set the cleats further in than I'd have preferred just to ensure I didn't bash the chainstays and pedals. It's only a couple of mm in all likelihood but I do notice my feet being ever so slightly further out! Soon get used to it though and no damage done. If you don't set your cleats like this then you wouldn't experience the same thing.

Garz

Squat Member
Okay thanks for that yello!

I may be converted to the winter boot then as I know it sounds pathetic but I hate having cold limbs on a ride it can spoil it completely. Don't get me wrong the overshoe's work well giving me many a comfortable ride so far but they seem to damage far too easily. I gashed open one of them in spring due to slipping when cleating in and one has the rear zipper that packed in not long after. I take good care of them generally and splashing out £20 every year starts to grate on the mind.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use Lake MXZ-302
Nice & toasty toes all last winter, just with normal socks.
They size slightly on the small size - I went up from 46 to 47 to leave room for thicker socks, and found the thicker socks didn't go in without feeling tight. Fortunately I didn't need them.

I also got fed up with overshoes not lasting a full year. They aren't as warm either.

Top Bottom