Soda Bread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
just made a loaf; plain and whole meal flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and buttermilk. Mix it up, chuck it on a baking tray and shove it in the oven for half an hour. It's feckin lovely, says eat on the same day, I've already had half of it so I'm not sure it'll even make it to lunchtime.
Is it of the equivalent standard as that sold by Source at St Pancras ?

I wanna make some too. I found this http://www.sodabread.info/menu/ while waiting for TBM

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...

OK, I based mine around the quantity of buttermilk I had, so it was: 300ml buttermilk, 3/4 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp bicarb of soda, 190g plain flour, 190g wholemeal (I only had flour with malted grains and stuff in so I sieved it, next time I'll leave them in I think). Mix the dry stuff and add half the buttermilk and mix again by hand or with flat knife, stick the rest of the buttermilk in slowly until you have a sticky ball of the dough, doesn't need too much handling. slap it on a baking tray, I used baking paper, it'll need a bit of oil for a non-stick. Put ball of dough on tray, push down gently, slice a deep cross with a sharp knife nearly all the way through and put it straight into a preheated 200c oven for 30 minutes. Don't hang about because it all starts working straight away. Tap for hollow sound and it's done, stick it on a wire rack, and as soon as you can, slice and chuck loads of butter on it and dog it down.

Top Bottom