Soda Bread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Right, buttermilk is now on the shopping list. You make it sound so easy. We'll see.
You don't even need buttermilk. I add two tablespoons of lemon juice to 350ml of milk, leave it for 20 minutes and use as @threebikesmcginty outlines. Full fat milk works best BTW. You just need an acid to react with the bicarbonate to provide the lift.
For an extra special loaf add a tablespoon or two of black treacle to the flour mix.
Cutting the cross in the dough is important, it's not only for looks, it helps the dough to cook through.
I would say making soda bread is a piece of cake, but it's even easier than that.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Could use baking powder, that's just bicarb and powdered tartaric acid.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 4667974, member: 259"]My mother in law makes soda bread on a griddle - she's so hard core she doesn't even use an oven. I've tried doing it and it was like a brick![/QUOTE]
So does mine ! Also potato bread, drop scones and farls.

Bloody hell.

Kudos to you. 4 years without (major) carbs? No, I couldn't. Respect.

(I've never bothered to do the research if low carb is healthy as ... no, just no)
I'm carbohydrate intolerant (yes, that's a thing) so no choice really. Well, it is a choice: between feeling crap all the time and seriously ill (we're talking hospital ill) from time to time, and feeling pretty good most of the time and even bloody fantastic occasionally.
Sorry for the thread hijack. As you were!

Top Bottom