Sodastream - yea or nay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
hows about getting one of these...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not having to lug home an extra two kilos of shopping for each bottle is a benefit to me.

I usually have lightly fizzed water or squash, or the occasional tonic syrup which tastes much the same as factory made.

A potential snag is exchanging the gas bottles.

Not so easy to do online.

Over the years a couple of the supermarkets have announced they are going to offer a full Sodastream service, but when I returned a few months later there was no sign of it.

The clue might be in 'a few months later'.

Sodastream gas bottles, if not the machines and the syrup, are slow moving inventory in the fast moving world of the supermarkets, so they quickly tire of selling them.

JohnHughes307

Über Member
We bought a sodamagic machine which isn't made in Israel but end up using the same cartridges from Sodastream. Our local Argos in Sainsbury's does CO2 bottles but we now use an online replacement service. Only use it for fizzy water, but it saves a lot if plastic. Tried a tonic substitute, but no patch on Fever Tree😁

We had the same concern regarding plastic bottles for sparkling water, and tried sidastream, which worked fine for awhile.
I didn’t do a detailed breakdown of cost, but we stopped using it, and returned to buying a 6x2l pack locally, and recycling the bottles.
Whilst sparkling water might not be for many, we have foregone any alcohol since 2011, and with our other dietary choices believe we have reduced our environmental cost in any case.
You have to have some pleasure in life, and sparkling water is ours!

JhnBssll

Veteran
I bought one when I stopped drinking around four and a half years ago. It still gets used regularly but the refills aren't cheap. I'm tempted to make an adaptor and get a decent sized bottle from BOC :laugh:

Mr Celine

Discordian
When we moved to Celine Towers we found that tap water smelled of chorine and tasted revolting. Blasting CO2 through it with a sodastream either removes the chemicals or masks their taste and smell. It's only used for fizzy water or to dilute juice.

My daughter's got one, but she lives in Pembrokeshire where the water tastes much nicer than the stuff that comes out of the tap here. It does seem to work out quite expensive compared to basic fizzy spring water though. I wasn't aware of the Israel / Palestinian connection & controversy, I'd want to read up on that before buying one, I only opened this thread to say they've got them in Lidl for thirty quid actually!

Top Bottom