Soens anti whip frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayerzee

Hello, I am new to the site so forgive if this question has been asked before, or I do something wrong as my IT skills are limited!
I recently acquired the Soens frame which I hope to attach to this post, I would appreciate your comments on it's history or contact details of a person who may have information.
I plan to build the bike up to it original condition so help/advice would be appreciated.
I look forward to your replies.
P1000923.JPG
P1000923.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ooh nice I have seen same design on Spend made tandems before but not road bikes.

I thought you may be interested in seeing a photo of a similar Jim Soens bike with anti-whip frame. It was built for a friend’s brother, Eric Edwards, who was a serious racing enthusiast. I understand that the bike originally was fitted with bamboo rims with the tyres taped on. How accurate this is I can’t say.

Attachments

• 2017-06-04 15.27.23.jpg
    2017-06-04 15.27.23.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 86

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@ayerzee see this comment below that William (Bill) Soens made on my facebook page In Appreciation of Merseyside Bikes where i posted a picture of your frame hope you dont mind

"This frame was built by Jim Soens and I estimate it to be between 1945-50 - could even be during the war. Tubing at that time was not of the quality of later equipment and was hard to get hold of anyway. This would have been a contributory factor to the twin down tubes."
"It wasn't as rigid and frames tended to flex a bit. The additional tube from the down tube via the seat tube to the rear stay was intended to improve this and there can be no doubt that it would have added an additional bit of rigidity. Whether it was necessary is a matter of opinion."
"Jim Soens built his frames from 58 Lower Breck Rd. Liverpool L6 from about 1936 until Peter Matthews took over in the 70's I think. His shop is not to be confused with the Eddie Soens shop in Boaler St, (which I ran) and Soens Bros in Prescot Rd. All were independent of each other. "
"Jim Soens built all his own frames, as did I "

Its a lot earlier that i suspected

Top Bottom