Softening a Brooks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been patiently waiting for my Brooks saddle to stretch like the last one did, but it is still relatively solid after about 7-8000k Is there any known way to soften it just a bit so it is a little more comfortable, preferably without it going all soggy?

Jameshow

Veteran
Warm wet tea towel before you ride.

Where you you store it?

If indoors the the dryness will cause it to be firm.

simongt

Guru
Depends on what you mean by 'relatively solid' Andy. As with any saddle, it's a very personal thing. When I bought my B.17 five years ago, I put several layers of Proofhide on top and under to absorb before I fitted to my bike. It took about ten days to mould to the shape of my backside, which was a bit of a trail :whistle:, but now, several thousand miles along the road, great and I wouldn't swap it - ! ^_^ Obviously, I still treat it thrice a year on top and twice underneath as recommended, but apart from making sure it stays dry, no issues at all. :okay:
Oh, ref storage, all our bikes are kept in the house, but the house temp is kept cool, thus we don't have overly damp or dry humidity.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Difficult one to answer so I will resort to anecdotes. I’ve two brooks, one is 18 years old and has done 50,000 miles, the other 3 years old and about 5000 miles. Both are still hard to the touch but have indentations and taken my shape. They were both quite comfortable from the start, although the first took 1000 miles. The second is much thinner leather, that and my bum has become Brooks shape, helped it be comfortable from new. So much so I don’t wear padded shorts. They get proofed with proofhide twice a year , top and bottom, usually in warmer weather. They also get ridden in the rain and I do not use a cover at all. The older one spent a lot of time in a damp shed and has had a few serious soakings, one of which may have hastened the dimple formation. I’ve rarely touched the tension bolt. So, to answer the question I’m not sure they ever become soft but for some folk at least they do become comfortable.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
After a year I threw mine in bucket of water for 2 days and rode it wet until it dried. It helped a lot. My Imperial was great out of the box.

But there are cheaper, better synthetic saddles out there.

I've been patiently waiting for my Brooks saddle to stretch like the last one did, but it is still relatively solid after about 7-8000k Is there any known way to soften it just a bit so it is a little more comfortable, preferably without it going all soggy?

From what I've seen online there is a great variety of things that happen to a Brooks from almost no change to extreme sagging.
I've broken in three and had different results each time. I believe the thickness of the leather, which varies from saddle to saddle, can be a big factor.

Some prefer alternatives to the Proofide wax and there's lots of opinions about letting them get wet.

The only thing I can suggest is to be extremely patient and take steps very slowly. It's far easier to help the softening process along rather than undo it.

Having said all that mine were comfortable after about 300km at the latest. 7-8000km suggests patience won't be an issue ^_^

Top Bottom