SOLD eTrex Legend HCx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

P.H

Über Member
SOLD thanks for looking

I've tried to like this, but it's just too far away from the reason I cycle for me to use it. Despite being about 18 months old I've used it three times, then sat in a bar bag so it's never seen rain and is as new.

eTrex Legend HCx - complete with box and everything that came with it, lanyard, clip for mount, owners CD, instruction book, USB cable.
City Navigator Europe NT - On DVD and registered to this device.
8 GB Micro SD card
Ram mount - bought to fit as per the thread on YACF, never used and I can't find the fitting kit that came with it.
These four items cost me just over £200.
For sale at £110 inc P&P
When I say this is as new, that's exactly what it is, if you buy it and disagree, you can have your money back.
I can do photos, but really it looks the same as every other one.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Not impressed with your timing PH... I'd have snapped it up if i hadn't spent/saved all my money for a trip to New York on Wednesday

Mrbez

Hi P.H,

What is it that the legend HCx will tell me, and do?

I see so many of the etrex range.

I am after a gps that will allow me to plot a route and then follow it, whilst it tracks my journey details. Speed, elevation etc.

Will this take me to a destination if I put a postcode in?

OP
OP
P

P.H

Über Member
Hi P.H,

I am after a gps that will allow me to plot a route and then follow it, whilst it tracks my journey details. Speed, elevation etc.

Errrr....

I'm pretty sure it'll do all that, though my usage has been to show me where we are on a map when lost and plot a course back to where we should be. Sorry. I'm not really the best person to tell you about how it works. I don't want to go into a sales pitch, when I don't know what I'm talking about.

Maybe a question in Know How will get you the information you want from people that use them. A quick search will show this model is often reccomended for cycling. Though please note they don't come with a handlebar mount, though there is a Garmin one made and easily available.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

I have the cheapest model in the Etrex range and it is great for those functions so the Legend HCx will also be fine for those.

I would be surprised if the HCx does that. I've never heard of these models doing the Satnav thing. They are usually used for following pre-planned routes, not making them up for you.

I like the fact that I plot the routes. I don't want a machine sending me up some nasty dual carriageway or even (as Satnavs do round here) up some unrideable ancient packhorse trail which has been incorrectly mapped as a road.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I have the cheapest model in the Etrex range and it is great for those functions so the Legend HCx will also be fine for those.

I would be surprised if the HCx does that. I've never heard of these models doing the Satnav thing. They are usually used for following pre-planned routes, not making them up for you.

Er, actually... not quite the same (not postcode), but you can certainly navigate to xxx on some maps such as OSM with the etrex. To some people this function seems a bit primitive and it doesn't work that well, but I would say that you have to compare to various cheaper car GPSs or phone ones that have this function and sometimes don't perform as well as you'd like. Some cheaper car GPSs don't have full postcode support either. Believe it or not someone's eTrex once got us several miles across London with navigation. All right it's not a roll's royce service, but as people have pointed out before, with the tiny screen someone might have need of the navigation one day.

OP
OP
P

P.H

Über Member
Er, actually... not quite the same (not postcode), but you can certainly navigate to xxx on some maps such as OSM with the etrex.
From what I've read, it'll find the postcode if this is included on the mapping, which is the case with the mapping being old here. So as I understand it, enter postcode, go to, and it'll plan a route, whether this is the best route, or even practical to cycle is a matter of luck, though I think you can then add intermediate points. When I've used the go to function it's been pretty good, zooming in at each junction with a big arrow to show the direction. If you don't follow that instruction through choice or error, it recalculates an alternative route. This is all I've ever used it for, I wouldn't recommend it if that's all you need and you're not using it all the time, any smartphone can do that. It is capable of so much more, which I neither need or want.

marinyork

Actually one clarification on one minor thing. The eTrex Legand HCx doesn't have a barometric altimeter. Not sure whether this means it has no altitude on it or just not a more advanced one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Actually one clarification on one minor thing. The eTrex Legand HCx doesn't have a barometric altimeter. Not sure whether this means it has no altitude on it or just not a more advanced one.

If a GPS has a good lock on 3 satellites it can uniquely identify its position on the Earth. If it locks onto a 4th satellite it can calculate elevation too.

I've found that the elevation displayed on my bottom-of-the-range Etrex (the old yellow type) is usually accurate to within a few metres when it locked onto a good set of signals.

For example, the last couple of times I cycled over Cock Hill on the way to Oxenhope, my Etrex calculated that I reached a maxiumum elevation of 431 m. The OS map makes it 432 m - that'll do me!

Mrbez

PH, so this comes with a mount that will allow it to fit on my bars?

I'm only really interested in the unit, a mount and a card.

Thanks

marinyork

If a GPS has a good lock on 3 satellites it can uniquely identify its position on the Earth. If it locks onto a 4th satellite it can calculate elevation too.

I've found that the elevation displayed on my bottom-of-the-range Etrex (the old yellow type) is usually accurate to within a few metres when it locked onto a good set of signals.

For example, the last couple of times I cycled over Cock Hill on the way to Oxenhope, my Etrex calculated that I reached a maxiumum elevation of 431 m. The OS map makes it 432 m - that'll do me!

The garmins actually work different to that. They use dx, dy and dz in terms of position also i.e. 7 channels :thumbsup:. And yes they can be pretty accurate, one of my friends was a bit annoyed it out did his newly bought external unit.

OP
OP
P

P.H

Über Member
PH, so this comes with a mount that will allow it to fit on my bars?

Thanks

It requires this item to fit it to handlebars, about £7;

http://www.garmingpssystems.co.uk/A...arge_Diameter_Rail_Mount_Adaptor_25_30mm.html

Some people prefer the ram mount which I'm including, it takes a bit of work to make it fit, see this YACF thread;

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13073.0

These only come in gray, it's this one;

http://www.activegps.co.uk/garmin-etrex-legend-hcx.htm

Not the mapping? The City Navigator mapping is supposed to be as good as it gets for on road Garmin. It's what enables routing, rather than following created tracks. It cost £70 and is locked to this device. TBH if you don't want the mapping, what I'm offering isn't such a bargain, though it is still a saving over the best new price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom