Sold Secure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
How can I be sure that I am buying the best possible D-Lock when Gold Secure locks range from £30 to £90. I could buy a Gold Secure for less than some Silver Secure.

BSRU

A Human Being
Gold Secure locks vary greatly in the resistance to attack.
I have some Gold Secure Masterlock D-locks which are pretty rubbish when compared to my Gold Secure Abus granite 54X D locks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Abus or kryptonite best. Lots of reviews on bikeradar. Depends where you leave the bike, whether you want it properly protected or if its simply an insurance requirement for shed storage!

You get what you pay for and 2 locks are better than one

400bhp

Guru
the kryptonite d-lock I have is gold and very strong. Can't remember the model but RRP is about £90, however they can be bought off fleabay for about half of that.

Davidc

Guru
I use the Masterlock one. I'm aware that it's not as well rated by those in the know as many others, but it's a substantial lock which, importantly, meets insurance company specifications.

I also use an alarm, and the combination is what I hope will deter casual thieves. Well equipped pros won't worry about any locks or anything else short of the owner standing over the bike with a shotgun.

Sara_H

Guru
I used the bike radar reviews. I've got an Abus Granit X-plus for £45 from ebay and an Abus steel o chain £25 from evans.

e-rider

crappy member
sold secure is total rubbish

however, if your insurance company insist on it, make sure you buy a lock that has a sold secure certificate - otherwise ignore that useless and out-of-date test!

The kryptonite M18 is good but very heavy to carry about. The RRP is £100 but online you can get them for £60.

400bhp

Guru
Another pearl of wisdom:rolleyes:

Chris Norton

Kryptonite mini D lock which is silver rated but gets great reviews, got a cable to go with it. I use a cheapie combination lock as the second.

2 locks, one cable and a central finger to the bastard who gets me bike if he gets through that.

Ooh, don't forget the free insurance from Kryptonite if it gets nicked and you find the remnants of the lock.

Top Bottom