***SOLD***Sony ICF-35 Vintage Radio, 80s, inc Original Power Adaptor.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Is is DAB compatible?:whistle:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
When you say 'not so hot on anything but FM' - do you mean it won't pick up AM/ SW signals at all?
I'm tempted, as the only thing worth listening to around here is on AM, but not if the set no longer receives AM signals.

Would it be possible to do a quick test - can you get BBC Radio Wales on 882khz there well ? (should be v strong there as the transmitter is in Somerset :wacko:!). If that station doesn't light up the red signal indicator at your location, its probably not for me.

Well, to be honest, no radio I have works well on anything but FM here. I live in an electrically noisy concrete box in the middle of a town. None of my radios will find BBC Wales on 882kHz at all, maybe a faint hint from the big Grundig. So the test isn't very valid, I'm afraid. And in any case, the transmitter will not be entirely omnidirectional surely, in these power-saving days? Of course, it then depends where in Somerset. If pointing roughly west from somewhere, I'd be surprised if I didn't pick up something. But if transmitting, say, north from Minehead, no chance. And the local conditions are poor, as I said. Ah well.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Great deal for someone, if I didn't already have too many radios and too little space I would snap this up.

Out of interest I can pick up both BBC Wales MW frequencies from Manchester, but a badly shielded wall wart plugged in would wipe both of them out.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Great deal for someone, if I didn't already have too many radios and too little space I would snap this up.

Out of interest I can pick up both BBC Wales MW frequencies from Manchester, but a badly shielded wall wart plugged in would wipe both of them out.

Yes the 657khz Wales frequency is transmitted from near Wrexham(2kw) so you should be getting it well there. Make the most of it though, it’s being switched off this month for good. 882 is 100 kw so covers most of England Too. Ito strong here but hammered by Norfolk on adjacent 873. don’t know if it’s omini directional. I used to get a huge signal from it though when I lived briefly in Brittany which is why I suggested it as a test - I’ll see if I can find out! I think it comes from Washford which is somewhere near the Levels from memory?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Well, to be honest, no radio I have works well on anything but FM here. I live in an electrically noisy concrete box in the middle of a town. None of my radios will find BBC Wales on 882kHz at all, maybe a faint hint from the big Grundig. So the test isn't very valid, I'm afraid. And in any case, the transmitter will not be entirely omnidirectional surely, in these power-saving days? Of course, it then depends where in Somerset. If pointing roughly west from somewhere, I'd be surprised if I didn't pick up something. But if transmitting, say, north from Minehead, no chance. And the local conditions are poor, as I said. Ah well.

thanks for taking the time to reply- much appreciated. Shame about the electronic mush, I’m lucky it’s still pretty quiet here. I’ll ponder about purchase and get back to you after my ride today^_^

edit: should add, if you get an offer for the radio before I get back, take it!

Last edited:
Tried 657kHz too. Nada. How bad it is here? None of the radios will pick up Droitwich on 198kHz, and that's hardly a DX signal...

Glow worm

Legendary Member
No, Droitwich should be rock solid there, as should RTE 252 long wave where you are. Can I ask whereabouts roughly in the SW you are? Radio 4 on 756 am should be solid in Cornwall/ west Devon ( I can get it here at night). Suspect you may just have too much electronic interference there perhaps.

think I’ll probably buy the set anyway - as long as it picks up Caroline I’ll be happy ( signal v strong here, you can practically get it on your toaster) I’ll send a PM tomorrow.

I'm in Tavistock. It's actually in a slight dip geographically, which doesn't help much, but most of the problem here is the building and the electrical hash. If I'm so foolish as to try the 7600GR with a long wire, it blots out most of the HF band...:eek:
No DAB either!

Top Bottom