[SOLD] - Winter Commuter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigsharn

Veteran
I have a (2008 I think) Landrover G4 Challenge for sale if anyone wants it? Asking £200 ONO, collection from York (I can deliver within the outer ring road or to one of the shopping centres)

med_gallery_13277_271_779709.jpg

It is dual suspension, but I've tightened the rear spring up as much as it'll go and she rides like a hardtail

What's good about it:

Currently running on Schwalbe city jets (Pictured), done no more than 100 miles (no, that is not a typo)
Wellgo pedals (Wellgo last for ages, or so I hear)
Land Rover (Built to last)
Shimano Acera gears and mechanical disc brakes
It's orange... theoretically people are less likely to aim for you on the roads (I've had one problem with a taxi coming too close while on it, or maybe it's just good luck).

What's wrong with it:
It is stolen recovered, though I rode her the 4 miles from the police station back home, and other than the tyres being a tad flat (now fixed) she was fine to ride.
Having been used as a winter commuter before (maybe 1000 miles at most) she's not the cleanest of bikes and some bits of muck are caked on (Forks) (Rear mech) (rear triangle) (headset).
May need a new front mech (it won't change to the big ring -Pictured).
May need new grips (the current ones are comfy but ripped).
Two small cosmetic rips to the saddle (Pictured) but still comfortable to ride.
One broken spoke on the rear wheel.
Rear brake isn't particularly keen, will need adjusting (or possibly new pads, I aren't sure).
No mounts for a pannier rack.

I use my Galaxy in pretty much all weather so this is surplus to requirement... That, and mum wants more shed space, just putting it up here before Fleabay gets a chance :smile:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Sorry but for new it's advertised as £239.

If you want a sale and with the work required on it, it's probably got a lot more to come down on the price, imho - especially if apparently it's done 1000 miles? Has it done 100 or 1000?

Cyclist33

I'm guessing the bike has done a thou and the City Jet tyres have done a hundred... in any event based on the description of its condition I wouldn't give £200 for it or anywhere near. Sorry, OP, but if it's

- got a faulty front mech
- ripped on grips and saddle
- got a broken spoke
- got a faulty brake
- dirty

then you need to come down on price. I sold my spare bike last year for £250 but it was worth it and working, and I also cleaned and polished it before sale.

Stu

OP
OP
B

Bigsharn

Veteran
Sorry but for new it's advertised as £239.

If you want a sale and with the work required on it, it's probably got a lot more to come down on the price, imho - especially if apparently it's done 1000 miles? Has it done 100 or 1000?

I bet it isn't, the newer models are atrocious and built with cheap parts... This cost me £500 new in 2008. I'm not entirely sure of the bike mileage but I know it's <1k miles, the tyres are nearly new and only added in the past 100 miles or so.

You need to come down on price...

Hence ONO. In honesty I'm not 100% sure on the value, but the frame's in good order minus a bit of dirt that I can't get off without use of a power washer (which I don't have and can't get hold of one to rent).

In light of the above though, I'll reduce the price to £150 ONO. If someone wanted to sort the front mech and replace the city jets with MTB tyres it'd be a hell of a entry-mid level mountain bike, but as it is at the moment it's most useful as a winter commuter.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
You paid £500 for it?!!! Are you serious? I don't know where you got it but that just seems way too expensive for this bike.

Thanks for the clear up on the tyres/frame - that'll teach me to skim read!

I'm still sticking with the original comments above - it's too expensive for what you've advertised - it's not in good nick, not a 'top' brand for bikes, the frame isn't all that and the requirements of the components to be replaced means that your second asking price is still optimistic.

I have no interest in buying the bike so am not trying to drive the price down, just suggesting that you be realistic with the pricing. If you want to check as a comparison for pricing- look on ebay etc

Norm

I wondered why peeps were complaining about the price, as I thought £20 seemed about right.

It appears that I really should have cleaned my glasses before reading, though. Front mech, saddle, rear brake and grips all trashed (which speaks volumes for the bike's quality) and a broken spoke in the rear wheel (which speaks volumes for the maintenance) and it is only £240 new.

I don't usually post on "for sale" threads unless I'm buying, but that is just amazing.

gds58

Über Member
It's a knockoff, check the decals compared to mine, and mines a 24 speed and that's a 21 ;)

It's hardly a 'knockoff' it's being sold by a dealer!! It's effectively the same model with a couple of slight differences on spec'.

Personally (and it's only my opinion) I think you've got a very average MTB in well below average condition which you haven't even bothered to clean ( I don't buy the fact that you can't get that dirt off when all it would take is a bit of hard work) it has parts which are broken or not working so all in all it's worth well under a hundred quid. It clearly hasn't been looked after as if it had then it wouldn't be caked in years worth of hard encrusted mud and components wouldn't have been allowed to get to a state where they won't work. It doesn't fill anybody with confidence that it would be a reliable and trusty ride for their commute to work and back.

I think you might need to re-align your sights on your asking price a bit!!

Just my opinion though.

Zoiders

Not being funny old chap but the dust boots on the forks seem to have popped off and there was two inches of rust on the fork stanchions in the main picture before you took the WD40 to them, maybe the rust set in because the forks were seized in the compressed position so it's not looking good for the rest of the bit's inside it which are just springs.

On top of that it need's a full re-cable job, the mech's front and rear need taking off, cleaning and a full rebuild and lube, the pivot bolts seem to all have rust on them and the rear spring just like the forks is a crude spring inside a tube job that will have rusted as well. On top of that everything that can be adjusted and is important to safety like the stem bolts has a layer of green moss and rust on it, the front mech stop screws looks so bad you would strip the screw head even trying to turn them.

If you paid £500 new for that I am a monkeys uncle, Raleigh/Diamondback dealers have been knocking out the same bike with the same bit's but a different label for well under £300 as well.

Trying to make ten times what you paid for it by wiping it down with a rag and hoping some chump buy's it - not cool old chap, not cool at all, you have ridden it 4 miles back from from the cop shop after you either found it and handed it in or paid next to nowt for it for it in the police auction so it's not on to assume you know how many miles it's done, in all honesty it looks like it's been submersed in water for a few days at least or sat in the rain for a year or so.

Pulling the wool on here will get you nowhere fella, too many mechanics and enthusiasts.

jxyzb

This is a wind-up surely. I have got a couple of old heaps in my back garden that are better than this , just waiting until I summon up the energy and inclination to throw them away !

OP
OP
B

Bigsharn

Veteran
I wondered why peeps were complaining about the price, as I thought £20 seemed about right.

It appears that I really should have cleaned my glasses before reading, though. Front mech, saddle, rear brake and grips all trashed (which speaks volumes for the bike's quality) and a broken spoke in the rear wheel (which speaks volumes for the maintenance) and it is only £240 new.

I don't usually post on "for sale" threads unless I'm buying, but that is just amazing.

It's hardly a 'knockoff' it's being sold by a dealer!! It's effectively the same model with a couple of slight differences on spec'.

Personally (and it's only my opinion) I think you've got a very average MTB in well below average condition which you haven't even bothered to clean ( I don't buy the fact that you can't get that dirt off when all it would take is a bit of hard work) it has parts which are broken or not working so all in all it's worth well under a hundred quid. It clearly hasn't been looked after as if it had then it wouldn't be caked in years worth of hard encrusted mud and components wouldn't have been allowed to get to a state where they won't work. It doesn't fill anybody with confidence that it would be a reliable and trusty ride for their commute to work and back.

I think you might need to re-align your sights on your asking price a bit!!

Just my opinion though.

If you paid £500 new for that I am a monkeys uncle...

I bought it from an LBS in 2009. It was £500 so pleased to meet you Tiddles.

Trying to make ten times what you paid for it by wiping it down with a rag and hoping some chump buy's it - not cool old chap, not cool at all, you have ridden it 4 miles back from from the cop shop after you either found it and handed it in or paid next to nowt for it for it in the police auction so it's not on to assume you know how many miles it's done, in all honesty it looks like it's been submersed in water for a few days at least or sat in the rain for a year or so.

Pulling the wool on here will get you nowhere fella, too many mechanics and enthusiasts.

If I bought it dirt cheap from a poice auction do you not think I'd do something more sensible like putting it on Ebay with a starting bid above what I paid?

I had this registered with Operation Spoke in November 2009, as I mentioned it IS stolen recovered but while I was riding it, I did <1000 miles and the city jets did <100 (and the tread still isn't even slightly worn yet). Before you go and make accusations like that I suggest you do research on the person that you're talking about (Go and Google "Bigsharn Land Rover G4". There are old, archived posts from early 2010 where my bike's in some old forum signatures).

This is a wind-up surely. I have got a couple of old heaps in my back garden that are better than this , just waiting until I summon up the energy and inclination to throw them away !

Well you clearly have more money to waste than some others.

Well I apologise for having done my research on Gumtree, asking if this had been sold and thinking it's a fair asking price for a working bike of the exact same model (albeit a year older), reducing the price by £50 and putting ONO in huge letters at the start of the ad.

I shall be listing this elsewhere, so it's withdrawn from sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom