Solder or Crimp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Following on from the cable cutter thread,does anybody,apart from me,solder the cables after cutting?I prefer soldering as it is neater & the cable can be cut shorter.
Tiny bit of Bakers fluid,ordinary electric soldering iron,& electrical solder,with good old fashioned lead,jobs a goodun.

subaqua

What’s the point
I have been known to put a crimp end on with solder. but years of cable jointing and wiping lead means its a skill i mastered a long time ago as an apprentice.

mostly though just crimp it on for speed.

OP
OP
G

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
With solder,I can take the cable out as many times as I want,& it never frays,& just as quick as crimping.I only ask,as I was in a lbs & enquired if they still did it,& was told they threw the tools out years ago.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
crimp or superglue works for me

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
With solder,I can take the cable out as many times as I want,& it never frays,& just as quick as crimping.I only ask,as I was in a lbs & enquired if they still did it,& was told they threw the tools out years ago.
Crimp, but always leave enough cable to allow for cutting off and replacing if I need to take out the cable. Soldering sounds a good idea though.

Top Bottom