Solihull/Birmingham to Wolverhampton commute, advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I

ishaqmir

Thanks for the replies, apologies for not posting, I overlooked this post during lockdown lol

yes, I travel all over Wolverhampton. I’m not keen on doing the canal either, especially as recently it’s come in the news - Bham/Wolverhampton canal muggings - pushing cyclists into the canal and stealing bike, has happened a few times...

I think it’s right that the most sensible option would be to drive to Wolverhampton and then do local cycling.

I actually did my first day of home visits in Brum on the cargo bike just a couple of weeks ago. Really enjoyed it but there is just one thing that is really stopping me from using it for work. THEFT/VANDALISM!!! Even though I’ve got the bike insured to the full £5k value.

Any motivational advice would be welcome!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Thanks for the replies, apologies for not posting, I overlooked this post during lockdown lol

yes, I travel all over Wolverhampton. I’m not keen on doing the canal either, especially as recently it’s come in the news - Bham/Wolverhampton canal muggings - pushing cyclists into the canal and stealing bike, has happened a few times...

I think it’s right that the most sensible option would be to drive to Wolverhampton and then do local cycling.

I actually did my first day of home visits in Brum on the cargo bike just a couple of weeks ago. Really enjoyed it but there is just one thing that is really stopping me from using it for work. THEFT/VANDALISM!!! Even though I’ve got the bike insured to the full £5k value.

Any motivational advice would be welcome!
Hmm. Difficult one.

If you ride down by the canal, you can very quickly work out that there are a large number of cyclists down there, and therefore the chances of you being mugged or even just pushed into the canal are very low indeed. On the roads, there are also risks with bad drivers or even deliberate attempts to knock you off, so that doesn't solve the problem. Even worse, the more people that avoid canals, the fewer people that are on there, the riskier it becomes. Following an attack the sensible option would be for everyone to divert onto the canals for a period so that anyone trying to do something nefarious will almost certainly be spotted.

Personally I find some of the more disturbed Birmingham residents are generally more docile around water and don't cause me much trouble. The most agression I have ever felt on the cut towpath has been from Canada geese. Nevertheless, a friend of mine has recounted stories (worked in the field) of homeless people going down to the canal to sort out their differences, away from the prying eye of Joe/Jo public.

However if you do get mugged on the canal, then it is shocking and no real comfort that you were just very, very unlucky.

I'm in my (very late) 40s now. The only time I have had a bike stolen was over 20 years ago from inside a church. Never been pushed into the cut (although I have twice accidentally pushed someone in). Life is risky. Enjoy it.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I cycled from Birmingham to Wolverhampton along the canal a few weeks ago. I think it would take too long for a daily commute. The path is mostly paved but it's narrow and you've still got to slow down for bridges and pedestrians. There is also a long, dark, damp tunnel just before Coseley. You would be lucky to average 10mph.

Sorry: I've just read the OP's latest post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom