Solo spin class - spinning backwards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I went to a VR spin class at the work gym this lunchtime, and I had the room to myself so I thought I would have some fun. I put in my normal FTP, and tried spinning backwards. I managed about 5 minutes of the warm up just barely getting to the speed, and the second 5 mins trying to keep in the zone specified.

I wasn't enjoying it very much by that point, so went in the usual manner, but it really knocked the stuffing out of me. I have never taken a break during a session before. I decided at the next recovery phase to try going backwards, and it was incredible - it felt exactly like my actual bike does when the brake rubs on the front wheel. My legs were just completely resisting the thought of going backwards after the climbing segment.

After the class, I tried to ride two different bikes side by side, but the up pedal just dragged the bikes closer, and the lack of resistance meant I couldn't get a stride; just do one rotation then the other. Short-lived and not practical.

So, overall, felt a bit pointless. I didn't feel like I stopped the fixie any faster on the way home. And my legs are a little upset with me now as I sit here.

I fantasised that exercising the opposing muscles might be good for knee strength and so on... is there any benefit to spinning backwards? Aside form getting a good night's sleep tonight.

Top Bottom