Soloutions for a stitch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nkaj

Hi
Over the last few weeks in particular i have to wait at least 4 hours after eating before doing any cycling.This is really frustrating as i often dont get back from school until 3 or 4.Is there anything i can do that will speed up my digestion and get rid of my stitch?
thanks in advance.

Bman

Guru
I was always told to endure it, running or cycling and thats just what I do. I have no idea if this is medically sound or not?

However, I dont go out on the bike straight after a large meal.

Jambon

when i was in the harriers i was told to lower your arm to match the stitch i.e. stitch on the left then place your left arm down your left side against your thigh, i know this isnt practical on your bike mind! :smile:

mr Mag00

rising member
you should be able to ride then after having a lunch. if it persists see a doctor. perhaps eat slow and chew more to aid digestion, eat less at lunch?

OP
OP
N

Nkaj

I eat when i get home because i dont eat enough at school.Its all healthy school meals over here in Finland and sometimes the food is atrocious.Yeah i think ill try and chew more,eat slower and try out that harrier technique.Thanks people!

ASC1951

Guru
Nkaj said:
I eat when i get home because i dont eat enough at school.
Do you have a proper breakfast? There is a habit now of people missing breakfast because they are 'in too much of a hurry', which is ridiculous. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should be as big as your evening meal. People who miss breakfast often eat sweet fatty food midday.

Stitch - young people get it more than adults. Dropping your arms is recommended but never worked for me, but what does is to drop your chin and to make your out-breaths much slower and more even.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
i've had this out running, i've been told to take a deep breath and hold for a while, usually works!

OP
OP
N

Nkaj

ASC1951 said:
Do you have a proper breakfast? There is a habit now of people missing breakfast because they are 'in too much of a hurry', which is ridiculous. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should be as big as your evening meal. People who miss breakfast often eat sweet fatty food midday.

Stitch - young people get it more than adults. Dropping your arms is recommended but never worked for me, but what does is to drop your chin and to make your out-breaths much slower and more even.

Yeah i eat as big as breakfast as possible but im still hungry by about 1 o'clock (Most morning i have to eat breakfast at about 7) .Thanks ,i have heard from a few others that deep breathing is good so ill try it.

ASC1951

Guru
Nkaj said:
i have heard from a few others that deep breathing is good so ill try it.
It's not so much deep breathing, Nikaj, it's slow breathing. What seems to work is holding the in-breath slightly then breathing out slowly and evenly. You don't need to breathe in slowly, and in fact if you are exercising you won't be able to breathe slowly on both parts of the cycle.

Top Bottom