[Solved] pronunciation of Campagnolo ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah - Simplex! My first-ever derailleur. You've left out Huret from the list though.

jimboalee

661-Pete said:
Ah - Simplex! My first-ever derailleur. You've left out Huret from the list though.

I've still got a pair of Simplex mechs tucked away somewhere.

The front mech has a sliding bar, not a parallelogram.

Both mechs are in DuPont plastic, lighter than the Tiagra mechs I have on my Dawes.

jimboalee

andy_wrx said:
Campagnolo Veloce is not pronounced Cam-pag-no-lo Vell-oss, as I've heard in a bikeshop.

Maybe it would have been, back in the 1970's, when Alfa Romeo was pronounced Al-fah Roh-me-oh...

As I said before, and takes me back to the 70s, LBS chappies and chapesses named Campagnolo groups by their model name, missing out the Campagnolo name altogether.

"Hi Tom. I'm after a C-Record rear mech".
"What do you want one of them for?"

[If anyone remembers Tom Crowther, you'll understand].

brockers

ASC1951 said:
I think you'll find that almost everyone in the UK calls it Campag; and the French call it Campy ("Cormpi").

I thought most Frenchies refer to it as "Campa", and only Americans and those types who defer to BikeRadar as their source for all things technical, refer to it as "Campy"

SBH

I remember being in Halfords many, many years ago as a Mr Random was shopping for a set of bikes for his family. Even at a young age, I found it hard to accept his unique pronunciation of 'Peugeot'... but the phrase "Pyooo-joh, they're good they are!" has stayed with me for a long, long time.

I suppose, at least it wasn't "Pyooo-jert".

Top Bottom