Some advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Young Cubette was very kindly given the below bike a while ago by a friend who can no longer ride it through ill health. The friend tells us it was bought a few years ago to ride on a longish holiday, and has had precious little use since. Cubette has used it since last summer, and, I may say, has kept it in lovely condition. She now has a new Merida so she can ride off road with Cubester and me, and is toying with the idea of selling the GT. Cubette has also hit on the idea of donating up to £30 to breast cancer relief. Thing is I have absolutely no idea how much it is worth, or even whether it is worth trying to sell it. The previous owner paid about £400 for it when new, but it'll fetch bugger-all on Ebay as it won't be appreciated by the catalogue hordes.

It's reasonable well specc'ed, with a very light Cro-Mo 14" frame, Cro Mo forks, Shimano Alivio brakes, 24 shimano STX gears with trigger shifters, a WTB saddle and alloy finishing kit. The wheels are light and undamaged, and the tyres are original with virtually no wear. With slicks it would make a cracking commuter for a person around the five foot mark, or a first serious bike for a teenager who isn't hung up on the idea of suspension forks.

So, is it worth trying to sell? What sort of money should I ask for?
DSC_0060.jpg DSC_0044-1.jpg DSC_0043-1.jpg DSC_0045-1.jpg
DSC_0032-3.jpg

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Its worth at least what you would pay for one of them dreadful catalogue bikes!! Difficult to say, as there are lots of 'cheap' bikes available and buyers will think its better to buy one of them than this, which is a much better bike.

Might be worth advertising it with a 'offers' to see if anyone is interested.

That isn't a catalogue bike.
It's a GT Tequesta, one of GT's better machines in the 90s.
Hard to find one like it because it's in such good nick and it's so small.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Whoops, may have been a bit misleading. I guessed at 14" cos it feels like a circus bike in my hands. I've measured it and it's a gobsmacking 18" from bb to top of seatpost. However, the geometry makes it small , with the headset at least 6" below that of my 18" Cube. Standover height is bang on for anyone over 5'0". When I can find my tape measure I'll do a full measurement sort of thing.

general rule of thumb for moutain bikes is half origional value -£10 per year owned

however thats had hardly any use, should easily fetch £200 or more.

could be what i'm looking for for my fiancee actually but don't have the money at the moment.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Be lucky to get £200 considering you can get a GT aggressor (which is the modern day version of that) for £200 from Halfords.

Rough Estimate-anything form 50 to 100 would be good.Ebay may get more, but you can get a lot of bike for very little on EBay

mr-marty-martin

unless you realy need the money, just keep it

then keep it in great nic, say a good few years time the price may even start going up on how much it's worth...

ASC1951

Guru
mr-marty-martin said:
say a good few years time the price may even start going up on how much it's worth...
You'll be disappointed, then. Second hand bikes/cars/any mass produced consumer goods never go up in value.

mr-marty-martin

oh yeh, thats why you see old vintage cars sell for more than they were new...

stephec

Legendary Member
Cubist said:
Whoops, may have been a bit misleading. I guessed at 14" cos it feels like a circus bike in my hands. I've measured it and it's a gobsmacking 18" from bb to top of seatpost. However, the geometry makes it small , with the headset at least 6" below that of my 18" Cube. Standover height is bang on for anyone over 5'0". When I can find my tape measure I'll do a full measurement sort of thing.

I might be interested in this, could you do me some merasurements please?

BB to top of seat tube

Centre of top tube to floor

Top tube length

Cheers, Colin

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
stephec said:
I might be interested in this, could you do me some merasurements please?

BB to top of seat tube

Centre of top tube to floor

Top tube length

Cheers, Colin

BB to top of seatpost 18"
Centre of top tube to floor 28"
Top tune length 21"

It's 41 inches spindle to spindle. Cranks are 7".

It has flat alloy bars.

Wheels are 26"
Some more pics:
DSC_0056-1.jpg
DSC_0052-2.jpg

stephec

Legendary Member
When you say 18" from BB to top of seat post do you mean to the saddle clamp? If so, is it 14" from BB to top of seat tube?

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
No, sorry, getting all confused with the terminology. The distance between the centre of the BB and the clamp is 18". I was really surprised because Cubette struggles to sit on her brother's 18" Cube Attention. However, the straighter geometry of this bike makes it look and feel an awful lot smaller. She has an inside leg measurement of 29.5 inches in her socks, and of course the 28" standover height of this bike is perfect for her. She stands about 5'1" in her socks.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
You'll be disappointed, then. Second hand bikes/cars/any mass produced consumer goods never go up in value.

then you'll be happy to sell me your ASC hub for 58 shillings and tuppence then?
i'm in a generous mood this evening - we can call it three quid if you like :biggrin:
pic-95-s.jpg

Top Bottom