Some advices are needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petrea

Regular
Good afternoon ladies and gents!
Back in April 2018 I've finally decided to get a bike for short commuting and light shopping around my area. So my first bike was to be a second hand Carrera Subway 2 for £110, medium size. I liked it a lot at first. As my workplace got changed, I tried it to see if I can use it for c2w as well, as it appeared to be the most convenient means of transport at that time... That was a brave decision given the fact that I was totally unfit for 28m per day. Ooohhh my poor muscles! Then it was 26m for one month and 11m for another 2.
As I liked it more and more, after reading some long hours of web content, I've come to the conclusion that I need a new bike. The budget was stretched twice during my research, until I finally ordered a new Norco Search A Tiagra 2018 blue from Evans for £720.
It took me 20 mins of riding to get used to it. It has proved to be a decent bike to ride during this year until two days ago, when a silly driver was turning right through a traffic jam into a courtyard ignoring the fact that there is a busy bike lane next to it. He gave me a short but painful ride that scared me to death and cost me a half bent front wheel and a 10mm wide hole 40mm up the fork end.
We shook our hands and I left with a huge dilemma and £1200 in my bank account. I was looking to get a new Norco but they're out of stock. Then I spent some hours to find a new or used fork. Now that I see it's impossible to get Norco spare parts even on eBay, I'm not that keen to buy Norco anymore. I've spent the whole evening on searching for a new bike that would be an improvement over my smashed Norco. Here's what I see to be the best so far:
https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-rdx-bike-shimano-hydro-build.html but I've absolutely no experience in assembling bikes.
What would be the best decision to take? Should I dig more until I find a fork and keep the money for something else? How safe would it be if I'd just buy a new front wheel and use it as it is?
I feel like the best option would be to get a new bike (which one?!) and if possible a new wheel for Norco to be for the poor weather.
Thanks in advance for your advices!

Regards
Peter

sleuthey

Legendary Member
You have reported that your crashed bike was a decent bike to ride. Therefore I would get the fork and wheel repaired then you will have a decent bike and a grand in your bank.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't know this particular Dolan but it looks very nice. I have a Dolan Dual which is 10+ years old. I only ride it once or twice a year but it still feels great.

I've never met anyone with a bad word to say about Dolan Bikes. Everyone seems to love them.

simon.r

Person
Personally I wouldn’t ride with a carbon fork with a large hole in it!

If you decide to repair your existing bike you don’t need a Norco fork. There will be lots of different brand name forks that will fit your bike. Given your lack of experience in assembling bikes I‘d be tempted to go to a good LBS and get a quote for supplying and fitting a new fork.

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally I wouldn’t ride with a carbon fork with a large hole in it!

If you decide to repair your existing bike you don’t need a Norco fork. There will be lots of different brand name forks that will fit your bike. Given your lack of experience in assembling bikes I‘d be tempted to go to a good LBS and get a quote for supplying and fitting a new fork.
This...given your location you're spoilt for choice of good bike shops within 10 miles or less including Evans

tom73

Guru
Try a few LBS and see what price your looking at to get it fixed up and if they can get the right folk.
If it's a bike you really love then it's worth a go.

^^^^wot they sed^^^^ repair it if you like it so much :okay:

I would get the lbs to check the alignment of the frame, etc too; you'll probably be fine but it's worth it for peace of mind. I was took out in London (Barnet) like that too (I'm glad I was near stationary expecting some muppet to pull in/ out of a supermarket entrance). Bent my front wheel but other than a bit of bruising to my thigh when I landed on their bonnet there was no real damage and I rode home to Peterborough (via Cambridge) with a borrowed wheel the next day. I did another 41,000 miles on the bike once I got it checked out :okay:

crossfire

with that money in the bank I would be tempted to get the Norco fixed and buy a cheap or used one as a spare and to learn maintenance on, if you cock up something you still have the good bike. Also look to see if there are any local bike co-ops that offer a course

vickster

Legendary Member
with that money in the bank I would be tempted to get the Norco fixed and buy a cheap or used one as a spare and to learn maintenance on, if you cock up something you still have the good bike. Also look to see if there are any local bike co-ops that offer a course
Richmond used to. Not sure they do now

Top Bottom