Some bike tools are just PANTS!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Yesterday I cut up my old dressing gown and it's now in a box ready to go out to the shed for use as oil rags. Brilliant towel material for cleaning grease of metal.
IMG_20230315_203308_750.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Old clothing is very useful for rags. The rags are reusable - I've even washed them for reuse. The use of throw-away wet-wipes for bike cleaning (or almost anything else for that matter) is difficult to justify.
Indeed; tbh I have more than I know what to do with after years of accumulating old boxers, trousers etc. I usually keep them bagged up then wash them in batches with other dirty / work clothing. Occasionally one will get utterly ruined by getting covered in something particularly nasty (for example when removing sticky "soft touch" rubber coatings from stuff) but it's no big deal as it just goes on the fire and I move onto the next one.

I've found similar to @ColinJ when cleaning up cassettes; however don't expect to have to clean them ever again now that I run a waxed drivetrain :becool:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Didn’t your partner object to you cutting their gown up?
Thankfully not, she considers blue to masculine.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Whereas, some 'tools' are simply Amazon...! :whistle:

My rear tyre went flat after I got home from Saturday's offroad forum ride. I took the wheel off to fix the puncture and saw how filthy my cassette had got in just one ride so I decided to clean that again. I will probably give the cassette a spray with GT85 to help shift the gunk before unleashing the Boxerwaistaliser on it again. I spotted some empty Amazon packaging in my recycling container and it struck me that it would make a good protective shield for a disc rotor when cleaning and lubing in its vicinity.

The ColinJ Disc Shield:
Disc shield.jpg

In place, protecting the disc:
Wheel plus disc shield.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
I have a few pairs of old boxer shorts which have seen better days so I have been ripping them up to use as cleaning rags. Then it struck me that the wide elasticated waistbands would be just perfect for cleaning bike cassettes... :whistle:

View attachment 681772
Brush degreaser onto the cassette with an old toothbrush, then stretch the Boxerwaistaliser along the cassette and pull back and forth. It can clean both sides of a sprocket simultaneously! :becool:
I tried this using a soiled pair of my Y fronts, and the cassette ended up considerably grimer than before I'd started.

Last edited:
Top Bottom