Some chain/cassette help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

A common issue about crank replacement, is that the new one must be compatible with your existing bottom bracket unless you are buying a new matching bottom bracket with the new crank. Assuming they are both JIS square tapered (which is likely in your case), the outstanding issue is the spindle length - too short and the new crank might clash with the frame and/or the front mech bottoms out before you can get into the low gear, too long and the front mech might not be able to reach the outer rings. Usually you can figure out if you have the precise make/model codes of the cranks.

My Ridgeback Adventure 501 works perfectly with a 60 x 118 bottom bracket.

OP
OP
lozcs

lozcs

Guru
Lawrence, I have an identical bike and have done several thousand miles on it without trouble. The only think I have done from standard is to fit a sealed bottom bracket. It is a nice comfy bike for a heavyweight rider.

When you need any parts Ebay is your friend for getting them.

By the way, it doesn't matter which way your chain goes.

Thanks, thought so but as soon as I put it on I started worrying....

The bikes alright for an old girl - although I've nothing to compare it to, I've done over 600 miles in the last few months and the only problem was the worn chain wearing the cogs (which I now know how to check for) Hopefully all sorted now!

Lawrence......

Top Bottom