Some help in Gateshead with Fixin'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spyda665

Hey all ... So I'm looking for someone in, or near Gateshead that knows enough about mountain bikes that would be willing to either pop round or meet up somewhere to give me a hand tweaking the bike.

(Sorry for my lack of bike knowledge, but Ill try and explain best I can)

It's only been about a fortnight, but so far I've had the chain come off the front and rear once each, Have a terrible squeak every time i push the right pedal down (But sound seems to be coming from maybe front wheel or suspension). I would just take it along to the bike shop in team valley or metro center, but I'm pretty much skint after buying the bike and the extras.

(Little More Info)
Chain has popped off the front inner chainring (Trapping itself between the frame and the ring) today when the gear was twisted below 2 /3rds of the way, Trying to put it into a low gear. (I did manage to force it out on the road and back onto the gears (Avoiding using the lowest gear on the way home)

Chain also popped off the rear cassette (Is that right), when putting into 1st gear, as above trapping itself between the cassette and frame. I Couldn't unstick it and had to push the bike home and loosen the rear wheel to remove it. (When i got home I did tighten up the rear gears, and I've not had the problem since, but I would appreciate a check up on it)

The front wheel was in a terrible state when i got the bike, Just wobbled left and right, I've used the tool to tighten and loosen some of the spoke nipples straightening it out best i can, But as i'm still pretty new to mountain bikes I don't want to mess with it too much and maybe cause some damage I can't fix. (This could maybe be the cause of the odd squeaking)

I had the problem of the rear brakes seemingly being in an "On" state where the rubber grips were in constant contact with the wheel, making it hard to peddle, I've managed to loosen them enough so they don't do this now, but would also appreciate that being checked!

Yes, It's been quite an ordeal and its rather off putting that within a few weeks I'm already starting to hate the thing ... Well not quite, Love being out, just hating the problems!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Even if its just pointing me in the direction of some tutorials for total bike-Noobies!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I assume this was a private buy or you would take it back to the shop which sold it to you.

One place where you could get some sensible advice is Sports Recycler on the Tedco industrial estate, South Shields.

Vince - their qualified mechanic - is a helpful guy and because Sports Recycler is run by the local authority, the charges are a lot less greedy than some of the bike shops.

You might even get a minor tweak or two done for nowt.

The place is open all week, but I believe Vince is usually only in on Saturday.

tightwad

Hey all ... So I'm looking for someone in, or near Gateshead that knows enough about mountain bikes that would be willing to either pop round or meet up somewhere to give me a hand tweaking the bike.

(Sorry for my lack of bike knowledge, but Ill try and explain best I can)

It's only been about a fortnight, but so far I've had the chain come off the front and rear once each, Have a terrible squeak every time i push the right pedal down (But sound seems to be coming from maybe front wheel or suspension). I would just take it along to the bike shop in team valley or metro center, but I'm pretty much skint after buying the bike and the extras.

(Little More Info)
Chain has popped off the front inner chainring (Trapping itself between the frame and the ring) today when the gear was twisted below 2 /3rds of the way, Trying to put it into a low gear. (I did manage to force it out on the road and back onto the gears (Avoiding using the lowest gear on the way home)

Chain also popped off the rear cassette (Is that right), when putting into 1st gear, as above trapping itself between the cassette and frame. I Couldn't unstick it and had to push the bike home and loosen the rear wheel to remove it. (When i got home I did tighten up the rear gears, and I've not had the problem since, but I would appreciate a check up on it)

The front wheel was in a terrible state when i got the bike, Just wobbled left and right, I've used the tool to tighten and loosen some of the spoke nipples straightening it out best i can, But as i'm still pretty new to mountain bikes I don't want to mess with it too much and maybe cause some damage I can't fix. (This could maybe be the cause of the odd squeaking)

I had the problem of the rear brakes seemingly being in an "On" state where the rubber grips were in constant contact with the wheel, making it hard to peddle, I've managed to loosen them enough so they don't do this now, but would also appreciate that being checked!

Yes, It's been quite an ordeal and its rather off putting that within a few weeks I'm already starting to hate the thing ... Well not quite, Love being out, just hating the problems!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Even if its just pointing me in the direction of some tutorials for total bike-Noobies!

Loads of really helpful stuff on this website.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

OP
OP
spyda665

spyda665

Hey all, thanks for replies .. Actually sending the thing back, Just messed up on me again today so had it with the thing! .... I'll see about getting another one sometime, but thanks again!

Top Bottom