Some new wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My 700c road wheels are all knackered so have finally decided to do something about it.

Having tried a couple of times to win some decent wheels on EBAY for under £70 or £80 I have bought some cheepo ones from wiggle.

I was bidding on some used but good condition MAVIC Askiums, they went for £88 + postage
Then there were some lovely Reynolds alloy hubs that also went for about £85 but they looked more used than the listing suggested.

I was very close to getting some new Mavics or Fulcrums, but would be looking at about £120 - £150 for a set.
Just before Christmas, I can't justify the spend.

So I have ended up getting some COSINE 24mm Alloy Clincher Road Wheels, £70 a set. very very cheap!

The reviews seem pretty positive so let's see how we get on. I like the minimalist look anyways. I hope they are not rubbish!

COSINE-24mm-Alloy-Pair-Profile.jpg

Attachments

• COSINE-24mm-Alloy-Pair-Profile.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 21

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
They do look cracking wheels for the price . i use r 501s as a cheap commuting /winter wheelset but those wiggle ones are cracking.

e-rider

crappy member
my mate bought these - last weekend the freehub body failed completely out of the blue leaving him stranded miles from home - another club rider had to cycle 2 hours home, get his car then return for him (he sat in a pub getting drunk all the while)

I personally tried Shimano R501s and both front and rear were broken within 12 months - when I put a warranty claim in (they have a 2 year warranty) it was rejected saying the wheels were at the end of their natural life!!!

My message is these cheap wheels don't last long and can fail leaving you in real trouble. I now use Hope hubs on Mavic CXP pro rims - they did cost about £300 but they willl last for years

Last edited:

MiK1138

Veteran
My 700c road wheels are all knackered so have finally decided to do something about it.

Having tried a couple of times to win some decent wheels on EBAY for under £70 or £80 I have bought some cheepo ones from wiggle.

I was bidding on some used but good condition MAVIC Askiums, they went for £88 + postage
Then there were some lovely Reynolds alloy hubs that also went for about £85 but they looked more used than the listing suggested.

I was very close to getting some new Mavics or Fulcrums, but would be looking at about £120 - £150 for a set.
Just before Christmas, I can't justify the spend.

So I have ended up getting some COSINE 24mm Alloy Clincher Road Wheels, £70 a set. very very cheap!

The reviews seem pretty positive so let's see how we get on. I like the minimalist look anyways. I hope they are not rubbish!

[/QUOTE]
Thats weird, i just spotted a pair of Cosine on a fikie when on my lunch break a nice looking wheel

Attachments

• COSINE-24mm-Alloy-Pair-Profile.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

my mate bought these - last weekend the freehub body failed completely out of the blue leaving him stranded miles from home - another club rider had to cycle 2 hours home, get his car then return for him (he sat in a pub getting drunk all the while)

I personally tried Shimano R501s and both front and rear were broken within 12 months - when I put a warranty claim in (they have a 2 year warranty) it was rejected saying the wheels were at the end of their natural life!!!

My message is these cheap wheels don't last long and can fail leaving you in real trouble. I now use Hope hubs on Mavic CXP pro rims - they did cost about £300 but they willl last for years

Arse.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I'm going to return them and get some mavics. I just know they are going to be bad.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Odd . apart from regreasing the bearings mine are still going strong .

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Mate of mine was out on nearly new Mavic Aksiums when the freehub failed leaving him with no drive.
I had a Fulcrum 5 where the whole alloy hub split clean in two after < 200 miles.... replacement wheel has done more than 10K without even needing a spoke truing.

Shite happens....and it happens on cheap kit and on more expensive wheels too. I'd not return the cosines tbh.
Wiggle are usually pretty good at honoring warranty changes, so I'd run the wheels and see what happens.

S-Express

Presumably the wheels come with a warranty - so just ride them and worry about failure if /when they fail. Which they may never do.

gbb

Legendary Member
Odd . apart from regreasing the bearings mine are still going strong .
I assume you're talking about R501s. I brought R500s for my winter commuter years ago, after maybe 5 full lots of winter commuting, all weathers, they're still as smooth and true as the day I brought them, hubs stripped, cleaned and greased just once. Fabulous wheels for the money.

mythste

Veteran
Mate of mine was out on nearly new Mavic Aksiums when the freehub failed leaving him with no drive.
I had a Fulcrum 5 where the whole alloy hub split clean in two after < 200 miles.... replacement wheel has done more than 10K without even needing a spoke truing.

Shite happens....and it happens on cheap kit and on more expensive wheels too. I'd not return the cosines tbh.
Wiggle are usually pretty good at honoring warranty changes, so I'd run the wheels and see what happens.

I agree with this guy. I'm sure you'll hear some dodgy erviews at this price point where some savings will be made on QC. But to further illustrate his point I've done almost 5000 miles on my Aksium Ones and not even touched a spoke - on top of which I can promise you I am not particularly kind to them! Potholes and bad weather galore.

Top Bottom