(Some of) Bokonon's bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bokonon

Über Member
This is my first attempt at putting pictures on this forum so you'll have to bear with me whilst I try to get it right...

A picture of my 1998 Peugeot Competition 4000 should be attached. It has been resprayed and received new wheels, head set and forks - the bike was originally equiped with 21mm tyres, getting readily available modern 23mm tyres to fit in the original fork is not possible.

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
Seems to have worked, so here is my fixed wheel built on a Cougar frame from eBay, and my unicycle which I still haven't learnt to ride.

JamesM

It's five days since you posted the unicycle so I guess you can get into Leeds along the canal on it with your eyes closed now?!? ;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Bokonon said:
This is my first attempt at putting pictures on this forum so you'll have to bear with me whilst I try to get it right...

A picture of my 1998 Peugeot Competition 4000 should be attached. It has been resprayed and received new wheels, head set and forks - the bike was originally equiped with 21mm tyres, getting readily available modern 23mm tyres to fit in the original fork is not possible.

Nice, are you still running the original 8 speed set up ?. Its strange what you say about the forks as mine look original and being run with 23's

OP
OP
B

Bokonon

Über Member
It's still 8 speed, with the original 42/52 chain rings, rear mech and shifters. The chain and cassette have been replaced, I'm now running with 13-26 rather than the original 13-24 - the Yorkshire Dales are a little hillier than Suffolk so the lower gear ratios help!

From the picture you posted of your Comp 4000, it does indeed look like you have the original fork. The issue with mine is that, in order for the fork blades to be brazed to the side of the steerer, the steerer runs down too low so there is not enough clearance over the top of deeper tyres. IIRC, you stated that your bike is a 2001 model, so I wonder if it was a known defect that got corrected on newer bikes?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
One issue I am having at the moment is that the spring on the rear mech is not the best and it is not changing the smoothest and as I am sure you aware it is now nigh on impossible to purchase a 8 speed new mech. I have been advised by my LBS that I may get away with a 9 speed one or try my luck with a 2nd hand 8 speed.

Top Bottom