Some people get cyclists a bad name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah, are you a boater too. Terribly exciting lifestyle.

TBH most cyclists are considerate - I rarely use the canal, but when I do I pass other users slowly, with an 'excuse me' and a 'thank you', only takes the 'odd idiot' to tarnish everyone. Talks of throwing cyclists in to the canal aren't funny as a user on here got exactly that.

If some one did that to me, I'd either jump out and welcome the attacker to the tepid waters, or the buggers would be pinned down until I got hold of a copper, then charged with assault, and a big repair bill.

No-one seems to like anyone who uses different forms of transport from themselves, so many selfish buggers about, including boaters would you believe.

rh100

Looked like the gibberings of a mad woman to me,

I tried a towpath once and hated it - never again

purplepolly

"I have to constantly fight the urge to drive into them just to see what happens when their helmets hit the ground"

What a delightful woman, kindly reigning in her natural urge to drive a two tonne motor vehicle into a human being. I'm most grateful.

purplepolly

JamesFrance said:
I am sad to see the opinions about cyclists using canal towpaths.

I have no interest in the opinion of people who make jokes about inflicting harm on other human beings. Even in my most charitable of moods it's hard to anything of value in such people.

OP
OP
JamesFrance

JamesFrance

fossyant said:
Ah, are you a boater too. Terribly exciting lifestyle.
I have been a boater on canals, but am posting this from my sailboat in a Spanish marina, where I use my folding bike to get around. Fortunately we all seem to get on well with each other here.

montage

God Almighty
purplepolly said:
I have no interest in the opinion of people who make jokes about inflicting harm on other human beings. Even in my most charitable of moods it's hard to anything of value in such people.

I agree, they really get on my tits. Next time I hear one of them blabber on in such an offensive manner I will kneecap them there and then

James, this is stuff straight out of the 'comments' columns of one or other of our more rabid tabloids (a certain DM springs to mind). One person posts a critique, the herd instinct sets in and others set their fingers jiggling the keys without any thought as to what's spewing out. More and more rancid as the thread develops. If that site were well-moderated that stuff would have a short lifetime.

If you are a member of that forum (and my guess is you are) you can do everyone a service - including your fellow boaters - by countering this sort of rubbish. The silent majority of civil and responsible cyclists is conspicuous by its - silence. You don't notice us getting on with the enjoyment of cycling, because we don't make trouble for others.

Get your fingers working, man!

Top Bottom