Some people - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A work colleague of mine was driving a works van at 60mph on a dual carriageway which was at the legal limit for the van. He was overtaking slower traffic and he was then aware that he had some one right on his tail and so put his foot down to get past the slower traffic sooner. Big mistake as he was seen by an unmarked Police car and soon asked to pull over. He then did a speed awareness course instead of having points added to his licence. You just don`t know who is waiting for you on the roads. 99% of the time you may get away with it. If you don`t then it is a fair cop gov !

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Yeah, November 2004 ;)

The W211 E class was the last of the really well built Mercs in my opinion.
Would love to get one myself if I needed a bigger car. But at 2000 miles a year there isnt really any value in doing so.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I've got an old BMW 325ti (2001) that was very well looked after by its one previous owner.
I drive to speed limits but on those odd ocassions where there is an empty stretch of motorway or dual carriageway or some snert is unneccesarily up my back bumper, it is nice to just effortlessly power away.
Also, it is a very nice place to be, very comfortable and quiet.
Once you have had a car with *some* power, it is hard to downgrade to a 1 litre.
I had a Daimler XJ40 . It made me drive like a prick as soon as some one thought they could go faster than me . They couldn't .
Now i find the whole car thing silly . I dont need one and i dont want to be a prick on the road ... So i drive a white van and ride a bike :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, all. There's no enjoyment to be had on our congested, potholed roads. Ar least when the Volvo arrives I'll be in languid comfort, but driving still won't be enjoyable. It never has been for me - driving a car is as enjoyable as emptying the dishwasher they're both simply white goods to me.

And that's an irony. I don't like driving, but was actually a very good Class 1 driver, perhaps one of the top 3 in the regional at my peak before the stress and management got to me. Conversely, I love my motorbikes, but I'm not a very good rider so my technique is very steady and conservative. Just my luck that I am (or perhaps was) good at the one I don't like, but crap at the one I adore.
Yeah but you care about finickity little things like watching the road and keeping under speed limits and driving legally and not killing anyone which makes driving such a stressful attention-consuming drag. Many people seem quite happy to drive by switching on dynamic cruise control and lane assist, putting those wireless headphones in, playing on their phones and only occasionally looking up at the road :sad:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
View attachment 481921

Also, if I am on a dual carriageway for example and sticking the the limits and some plank glues to my bumper, I will put my foot down to create a gap if the way forward is clear. I see this as being lwess dangerous as haviong to brake for something suddenly and said car behind me smashing into my rear so to speak.

The thing to do in that situation is ease off the power, slow down gradually and let them overtake you regardless of surrounding traffic.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Feels so much better powering away.

I guess the stupid don't learn.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Now you know why they're poor!

Now, if I worked and commuted 5000 miles a year, that's 438 quids worth of petrol @70 mpg in my Smart fortwo.

Insurance. £102 fully comp.

Car tax, £00.00

Depreciation, £00.00. It's a minter, and original 450 models like mine are actually rising f in value for low mileage beauties (mine has 42,000 miles)

In a year it'll need one service, as they come at 1 year or 9000 miles, whichever is the sooner, £150.

Throw in another £100 for minor repairs, tyres, wear on brakes etc, although mine has not needed a penny o. these things in the last year

Grand total =£790.

So it'd be cheaper to use my Smart than to get the bus. The Smart is never late, and I don't have to mix with commoners, and can also be used at other times if required. Where is the incentive to use public transport at those prices? No wonder the roads are a polluted mess.
What about parking costs? I suppose that would depend on whether your workplace had its own car park.

Top Bottom