some photo's of todays ride with colinj

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Last time was up there I was in a car and in awe of people on bikes

Next time ill tag along if you don't mind ?
You are always welcome to tag along Gaz, but unfortunately, a role reversal has taken place! While you were getting slimmer and faster, I've been getting fatter and slower! My best time for the Cragg Vale climb was 23.5 minutes but Shaun and I took 39 minutes on Tuesday. That means either you wouldn't be tagging along because you'd be hurtling up by yourself, or you'd be having to hold yourself back to go at my/our speed.

Anyway - here are two solo challenges for you (best done early on a Sunday morning for minimal traffic):
  1. Ride from Todmorden to Mytholmroyd via Hebden Bridge as a warm-up, turn up Cragg Road and stop at the 'Longest Hill' sign. Put a foot down. Now go for it from a standing start ... You are aiming to get as close to 20 minutes as you can (or faster if you can!) from that sign to the Rochdale Council sign on your left just before Blackstone Edge Reservoir. (Note the time!)
  2. Continue to the junction with the A58. Stop, foot down, check both ways! (There have been several serious accidents and at least one fatal one at that junction so don't take any chances pulling out in traffic.) Descend to Littleborough, turn right for Todmorden, right for Mytholmroyd, right up Cragg Road. Stop at longest hill sign. (Note the time!) You are aiming for one hour for the loop. It is a touch over 20 miles with the longest hill in England at the start of it so to achieve an unpaced average speed of about 20.5 mph would be going some.
I have done 23.5 minutes for the climb between those signs and 1 hour 9 minutes for the loop but my long-term goals are a 20 minute climb and a 1 hour loop - see how well you can do! :thumbsup:

Rules:
  • Foot down at the Cragg Vale climb sign and the A58 junction. That is to prevent you getting a rolling start, and to stop you whizzing straight out at the top without looking properly.
  • Stop at all red traffic lights and pedestian crossings in use.
  • You must ride safely at all times.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
You are always welcome to tag along Gaz, but unfortunately, a role reversal has taken place! While you were getting slimmer and faster, I've been getting fatter and slower! My best time for the Cragg Vale climb was 23.5 minutes but Shaun and I took 39 minutes on Tuesday. That means either you wouldn't be tagging along because you'd be hurtling up by yourself, or you'd be having to hold yourself back to go at my/our speed.

Anyway - here are two solo challenges for you (best done early on a Sunday morning for minimal traffic):
  1. Ride from Todmorden to Mytholmroyd via Hebden Bridge as a warm-up, turn up Cragg Road and stop at the 'Longest Hill' sign. Put a foot down. Now go for it from a standing start ... You are aiming to get as close to 20 minutes as you can (or faster if you can!) from that sign to the Rochdale Council sign on your left just before Blackstone Edge Reservoir. (Note the time!)
  2. Continue to the junction with the A58. Stop, foot down, check both ways! (There have been several serious accidents and at least one fatal one at that junction so don't take any chances pulling out in traffic.) Descend to Littleborough, turn right for Todmorden, right for Mytholmroyd, right up Cragg Road. Stop at longest hill sign. (Note the time!) You are aiming for one hour for the loop. It is a touch over 20 miles with the longest hill in England at the start of it so to achieve an unpaced average speed of about 20.5 mph would be going some.
I have done 23.5 minutes for the climb between those signs and 1 hour 9 minutes for the loop but my long-term goals are a 20 minute climb and a 1 hour loop - see how well you can do! :thumbsup:

Rules:
  • Foot down at the Cragg Vale climb sign and the A58 junction. That is to prevent you getting a rolling start, and to stop you whizzing straight out at the top without looking properly.
  • Stop at all red traffic lights and pedestian crossings in use.
  • You must ride safely at all times.

I intend taking time off work before the summer is over......So ITS ON !!!! :-)

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Colin, maybe we can do it " together " spurr each other on

Pushing me to not get " caught"

And you to not get " dropped "

I mean the above with respect tho , it's based on your own comment of getting slower yourself

Pots can drive the support vehicle

Would be good to go back to my old stomping ground again after all these years

ColinJ

Want me to come along as a pacemaker? :tongue:
Pacemaker from behind? Don't forget the bungee cords to tie between Gaz's seatpost and your handelbar stem! ;)
Er, Shaun and I might well be doing that climb again (at about 39 minute pace!) on Tuesday if the good weather holds. If you are free, why not set off with Shaun, and I might ride towards Burnley to meet you as a warm-up and then come back through HB to Mytholmroyd. You'd be doing about 50 miles in total.

Colin, maybe we can do it " together " spurr each other on

Pushing me to not get " caught"

And you to not get " dropped "

I mean the above with respect tho , it's based on your own comment of getting slower yourself

Would be good to go back to my old stomping ground again after all these years

The thing is, it wouldn't even be close. I made a big effort up there on Sunday and I was nearly throwing up with the effort but it still took me nearly 40 minutes (admiitedly, it was windy that day).

Potsy has been dropping me on climbs which is a reflection on the progress he has made, rather than me getting even slower. I am actually fitter than I was at the start of the year, but he has made more progress than me.

I'm fairly sure that you'd be well under 30 minutes. I'm not sure how close to 20 you'd get but there is no way that I can make up (say) 10-15 minutes, maybe even 20! I'm just too heavy, and more importantly - lacking in miles in the legs. I've only done 923 miles this year so far, where I'd have done 3,000-4,000 by now in years gone by.

By your own admission, you don't do slow and at the moment, I can't do quick! The only way we'd be near-matched is if you donned a fat-suit for the ride. (I bet you never thought you'd have to that, eh? ;))

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Pacemaker from behind? Don't forget the bungee cords to tie between Gaz's seatpost and your handelbar stem! ;)

Er, Shaun and I might well be doing that climb again (at about 39 minute pace!) on Tuesday if the good weather holds. If you are free, why not set off with Shaun, and I might ride towards Burnley to meet you as a warm-up and then come back through HB to Mytholmroyd. You'd be doing about 50 miles in total.

Sadly its gonna be a good 4 weeks before I get chance, but thanks

potsy

Rambler

No need for that Gaz :boxing:

Sadly its gonna be a good 4 weeks before I get chance, but thanks

Will try to get semi-fit and come along if you do it :eek:

ColinJ

I'm booked for the first couple of weeks of September so mid-September would be best for me. 6 or 7 weeks would give me a chance to get a stone or so off and get some miles in. That would be much more like it!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I'm booked for the first couple of weeks of September so mid-September would be best for me. 6 or 7 weeks would give me a chance to get a stone or so off and get some miles in. That would be much more like it!

Lets make it so then eh mate ?

Pots?

potsy

Rambler

I assume you mean September 2012 if you're waiting until you get a stone off? :biggrin:

I'm back at work Monday so hopefully the holiday over-eating game I like to play will stop then ;)

ColinJ

I assume you mean September 2012 if you're waiting until you get a stone off? :biggrin:
It's doable. I lost weight at 3 pounds a week when I was riding a lot and not drinking beer!

It was a lovely day today, but I still didn't ride my bike. Oops, gotta dash - it's only 20 minutes until the local shop shuts and I need to get the beers in! :blush:

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
It's doable. I lost weight at 3 pounds a week when I was riding a lot and not drinking beer!

It was a lovely day today, but I still didn't ride my bike. Oops, gotta dash - it's only 20 minutes until the local shop shuts and I need to get the beers in! :blush:

Take the bike !!!

Top Bottom