Some proper sentencing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Rightly so. I would also like to see the council bosses in the nick for the state of the roads which cause untold misery to thousands and have been attributed to terrible road accidents for motorists, cyclists and even horses reported.

I give that odds of between 0 and 0.

davidphilips

Veteran
Hope its successful, pity the rules for using a mobile phone when driving would not be increased along with a few brownie points for close passes.

screenman

Legendary Member
Rightly so. I would also like to see the council bosses in the nick for the state of the roads which cause untold misery to thousands and have been attributed to terrible road accidents for motorists, cyclists and even horses reported.

I give that odds of between 0 and 0.

Empty roads do not cause accidents though, also much as I disagree with a lot of what councils do we cannot blame them alone for the state of our roads, they have limited funds for a kick off. Most collisions are caused by people not tarmac, I love in an area of extremely bad roads, the nearest S road is 8 miles from here and best avoided, not because of its condition but the people using it.

Reactions: C R

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Empty roads do not cause accidents though, also much as I disagree with a lot of what councils do we cannot blame them alone for the state of our roads, they have limited funds for a kick off. Most collisions are caused by people not tarmac, I love in an area of extremely bad roads, the nearest S road is 8 miles from here and best avoided, not because of its condition but the people using it.
The potholes around here are not because of lack of usage! Councils are constantly fighting claims which cost money which could have put the potholes right in the first place. It's so bad, many solicitors are running no win no fee claims against them, even which? have an article on how to claim. We pay for the roads to be maintained through our council tax, often supported by government grants which often run into the billions, yet the roads are truly awful here in Staffordshire...

screenman

Legendary Member
The potholes around here are not because of lack of usage! Councils are constantly fighting claims which cost money which could have put the potholes right in the first place. It's so bad, many solicitors are running no win no fee claims against them, even which? have an article on how to claim. We pay for the roads to be maintained through our council tax, often supported by government grants which often run into the billions, yet the roads are truly awful here in Staffordshire...

Funny but when I am over your way I often think how good they are compared with over here, I like to think the council are doing their best, with limited funds and resources. They just cannot keep up with the damage being done daily, I would just hate a job that when you worked all day was worse than when you started.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Funny but when I am over your way I often think how good they are compared with over here, I like to think the council are doing their best, with limited funds and resources. They just cannot keep up with the damage being done daily, I would just hate a job that when you worked all day was worse than when you started.
Are you for real? Which parts have you been?

The councils in your opinion might be doing their best but in actual fact its a legal requirement to ensure the roads are kept safe and well maintained.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I like to think the council are doing their best, with limited funds and resources. They just cannot keep up with the damage being done daily, [...]
Councils have the powers to reduce that damage by reducing the number of heavy vehicles on susceptible roads with Traffic Regulation Orders and other restrictions. Few councils use them much and most prefer to bleat about lack of resources to literally pour into holes in the ground! They should face facts and get serious about enabling lightweight travel before they kill us all with the looming inactivity health crisis.

screenman

Legendary Member
All over it, we spend a good deal of time over your way. Honestly come over here and pay us a visit, pot holes, roads falling away into 20ft dykes, tarmac missing all over the place, often voted worst roads in UK. I am not saying they are good over there just better, we all need to pay a lot more if we want better roads, I do best part of 500 miles most weeks to see how it is. I agree legal requirement, but I cannot blame the guys working in the councils in most cases.

screenman

Legendary Member
Councils have the powers to reduce that damage by reducing the number of heavy vehicles on susceptible roads with Traffic Regulation Orders and other restrictions. Few councils use them much and most prefer to bleat about lack of resources to literally pour into holes in the ground! They should face facts and get serious about enabling lightweight travel before they kill us all with the looming inactivity health crisis.

We have 2 major lorry operators in our small village, the nearest A road being 8 miles away in one direction and 6 in the other, even those are single carriageways, surely smaller vehicles which I would like to see would mean more vehicles as the same loads would need to be transported.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We have 2 major lorry operators in our small village, the nearest A road being 8 miles away in one direction and 6 in the other, even those are single carriageways, surely smaller vehicles which I would like to see would mean more vehicles as the same loads would need to be transported.
Excluding time travel (as operators' licences should probably not have been granted for a location with weak roads, or the access road not adopted), the operators should be taxed enough to maintain the access road.

We've several lorry operators here (Carter Cabin and Crane Hire, Kier and probably others) but the road from their estate to the A road is private (and a bridleway).

It is simply impossible for us ever to pay enough to repair the damage done by unrestricted motoring. It must be factored into usage costs somehow.

All we need now is a law that prevents road killers from ever being allowed to drive again.
The hard part is not dis-allowing them, it's STOPPING them driving. Taking away licences doesn't seem to help much. :-(
It's like taking a gun licence away from a murderer - perfectly sound idea, but unlikely to prevent re-offending.

(I'd almost prefer to tax them, or make them drive shitheap cars. Neither are likely solutions of course ... )

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Without proper enforcement, laws are useless.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thousands of people drive in a dangerous way daily...but are not caught... therein lies the problem, sentencing isn&#39;t the problem or a deterrent, a credible policing plan is. <br><br>BBC News - Drivers who kill others could receive life sentences under new laws<a href="https://t.co/sZuEWRhOZt">https://t.co/sZuEWRhOZt</a></p>&mdash; Mark Hodson (@markandcharlie) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/markandcharlie/status/1305414945060814848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
">September 14, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom