Some thoughts on a longer trip on a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Some Thoughts on a Longer Trip on the Brompton
On 2/9/22 I thought I’d give the Brompton a proper workout. I booked a cheap ticket by train from Nantwich to Welshpool with the intention of cycling back on as much of the Montgomery canal towpath as possible, then through the lanes to home. My wife dropped myself and folded bike off in Nantwich on the way to Stoke. Although part of the route worked out rougher than anticipated and overall it took much longer to get back than planned, the Brompton proved much more capable than I’d expected. Although no off roader, it fulfilled its folding and portability functions magnificently and was capable of dealing with less smooth surfaces as well. I took it partially folded into a couple of shops and a public toilet with no one batting an eyelid, which was useful as leaving my bike unattended while I'm inside somewhere is one of my least favourite things about cycling on my own. I did fear for the tyres at times but they held up well too. More details on “My ride today”.
Brompton outside Sainsburys, Nantwich.
P1020606.JPG

I’d expected to have to change the original Brompton saddle for something more comfortable but up to the time of this trip it hadn’t been a problem so I gave it a chance to prove itself. Even after the 65 miles of this trip it was fine. That was a bonus, as it has bag loops. The riding position, despite looking as if it would be cramped, was fine, with older generation M bars and my home grown cross brace, foam grips, bar ends and Shimano brake levers. The only thing that was a little annoying was my Mirrycle as the stem blocked part of the bar end. I’ve seen photos of Bromptons with the mirror fitted below the bar which I think I will try, as it also fits in with the fold better.
The Radical Brompton front bag worked very well. So easy to get stuff out when stopped, without dismounting.

The gearing could do with lowering a smidge but generally everything worked as it should. The untried hub generator also worked as expected. I need to see what I can do with the mounting bracket as the front light contacts the bottom of the front bag before It can be raised as much as I would like.

On the whole, a satisfactory first trip.

tinywheels

Über Member
as a fellow brompton owner, I too enjoy going on seemingly improbable trips.
my bike has covered many miles on and off road. I personally enjoy the experience of taking a bike built for something completely different on insane trips.
Yes it's probably better to do it on a proper bike, but hell, Where's the fun in that.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In my opinion Brompton shot themselves in the foot when they decided to market it as a city bike. It is perfectly capable of carrying heavy loads and travelling long distance. As James Houston has just shown by completing the Transcontinental Race on his Brompton. 4500km. People are using them on World tours. The ability to fold them small and get in cars, buses and trains is an advantage.

There most certainly are better off road bikes. But when it gets really gnarly. The Brompton is the easiest bike to push. But as a touring bike it is ideal if you are not in a rush.

IMG_20190728_114531.jpg

Tenkaykev

Guru
In my opinion Brompton shot themselves in the foot when they decided to market it as a city bike. It is perfectly capable of carrying heavy loads and travelling long distance. As James Houston has just shown by completing the Transcontinental Race on his Brompton. 4500km. People are using them on World tours. The ability to fold them small and get in cars, buses and trains is an advantage.

There most certainly are better off road bikes. But when it gets really gnarly. The Brompton is the easiest bike to push. But as a touring bike it is ideal if you are not in a rush.

View attachment 660451

Love the colours, the way the rucksack is mounted is ingenious, I’m going to experiment 👍

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've done three Brompton tours now - a weekend in Champagne, a Carlisle to Newcastle two day tour, and ten days in Provence. It's the only bike I'd take on Eurostar, and it enables the odd bus trip too. I have nascent plans to take it to the Alps and take it on a chairlift.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Love the colours, the way the rucksack is mounted is ingenious, I’m going to experiment 👍

Its not a rucksack its a seat pack, the same as on the rear rack. Carrying a rucksack is easy on a Brompton. Zip tie a stick under the rails of the seat to loop the arm straps over. The rucksack sits on the rear carrier or you rig something up.

robjh

Legendary Member
Its not a rucksack its a seat pack, the same as on the rear rack. Carrying a rucksack is easy on a Brompton. Zip tie a stick under the rails of the seat to loop the arm straps over. The rucksack sits on the rear carrier or you rig something up.
This is all good info. I'm planning on getting a Brompton to take with me on an interrail trip next year (taking advantage of the 50th anniversary half price offer a few months back), and stuff like the rucksack trick is what I need to know.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I took my Brompton S bar on all types of surfaces with no problems. Just need to take a bit of care picking a line. My mirycle is fitted on the bar end and does not interfere with the fold.
I rigged up a bit of pipe behind the saddle as suggested which allowed me to hang a helicopter bag ( a type of rucksac for offshore workers travelling by helicopter) and this took all my camping gear supported by rear rack. Front bag took stuff for immediate use.

I took my Brompton S bar on all types of surfaces with no problems. Just need to take a bit of care picking a line. My mirycle is fitted on the bar end and does not interfere with the fold.
I rigged up a bit of pipe behind the saddle as suggested which allowed me to hang a helicopter bag ( a type of rucksac for offshore workers travelling by helicopter) and this took all my camping gear supported by rear rack. Front bag took stuff for immediate use.

Like this ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-09-17-46-26-71_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-09-17-46-26-71_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom